Monday, June 28, 2010

Amber

I have to shut down and go on in to work. But I remembered something too late that I wish I had included when I wrote the Amber blog. That being how fascinating it is all that you can infer from the type of insect that is often captured in the drop of resin that is amber.
The narrator took the viewers through such a surmise. I know, no such word but I just coined it.
The scientists had opened a drop of amber that was given to the narrator 60 years ago by a refugee from the Baltics... and removed the insect. In this case, it was a bee. Millions of years old and yet they fancied they could tell what her forest was like and what she was doing when the resin oozed onto her. She still had sacks of pollen on her hind legs. And it was fig pollen.
There are no signs thus far that fig trees were present where she was, however there appears to be irrefutable evidence that there was indeed a number of fig trees.
That realized, one could try to determine the probable weather story in that time and put together with other evidence found in various amber insects, one could assume a climate and even fellow creatures. A way that the assumption happens is knowing "prey" even then. If the creature existed as is evidenced by their presence in amber, they had to survive. And survival depended upon getting food. I am not speaking only of bees at this time. They, of course are not carnivorous. Some wasps are to a degree and there were known species of wasps also captured in the sticky goo hence the assumptions grew. Fascinating topic. One I can't get enough of. I found a 200 dollar piece of amber. I may just buy so as to hold history in my hand.
Off to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment