Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Talking About a Monday from heck! 8/05

What a beginning to the day! At 0630 I was in the kitchen and thought I heard birds fighting. No, that wasn't birds fighting. I had forgotten what a skunk sounds like. Once a year or so ago, standing on the porch of Guard HQ I saw some baby skunks calling for their mother who did come and get them and carried them across the street.
They sounded like birds chirping. So what I heard I found out momentarily WAS a skunk sounding off. There was no doubt to it as the smell became overpoweringly intense within the next second. In the house, the odor quotient was no different than if I were standing outside and got sprayed. It was palpable. When I opened the bathroom door to wash my face and get started on the day, the odor was like a WALL for pete sakes. I was stopped at the thresh hold trying to make it in there.
The windows don't open well in this house so eventually I opened the old fashioned screen door in the kitchen and brought out a box fan to try to exhaust out the horrible air in here. It has worked slightly. When I came back to the house about 15 minutes ago I could and can still smell it like a horrible veil that has descended into the house. BUT it's not nauseating like it was when it first happened. That skunk HAD to have been like, pressed right up against the house it was so bad.
So, time marches on and while " Texon" isn't there...still the odor remains to a great extent. I'm still trying.
Next: I called the Vet to see if they had time today to take the cat, clean her ears and cut her nails. They did. The cat however even though I did nothing, sensed what was coming. No way did she understand what was said on the phone, no. However the cat carrier was out and when I hung up the phone and leaned just to pet per ( admittedly I was going to grab her right afterward) she sensed the jig was up and shot out of the living room like all the ghosts of Hades were after her.
An hour later she came out and I acted like nothing was going on and then..faster than a speeding skunk, I grabbed onto her and began fitting her into the carrier. First time I have EVER heard her scream! To the top of her lungs. Never have I ever heard her that loud. It was heart wrenching and aggravating both at the same time. You would have thought I was killing her. Driving hot nails under those swords she is pleased to call claws. Dripping water on her head in the Torture Treatment. Pulling her hair out strand by strand.
I nervously got the car door opened and returned to take a horribly screaming cat to the Vet.
I was treated to that all the way down the Turnpike and into the Vet's Office. Both ears are squeaky clean now and all her nails are trimmjed. Who KNOWS how I can accomplish this the next time. Oh, and she gained more weight. I payed awfully good money to have the Vet examine her ( It was just going to be ears 'n' claws till I asked him to examine her). I asked did he feel anything as he was palpating her abdominal area. He said " Yes. I feel something soft and squishy!". So, my girl is losing her...no, pardon me, has LOST her girlish figger. She will henceforth be allowed her wet food a teaspoon at a time once a day.
Her an' me. We both fight the battle to keep a decent weight.
So, that's Monday thus far. Gross. Ewwww. Things could be worse I know. I could live in the Gulf States, I could be in a bad state of health. If getting eau de la Skunque out of the house is all I have to worry about, I have, to coin a phrase..it made.
Later

4 comments:

  1. I guess it's true about skunks having there own strange little voice. I haven't witnessed that before though I did see one stomp at me when we were camping once and one wandered into camp...that was a near thing I think! I'm glad to hear you made it through the to the vet...what a debacle! Well one less thing to think about right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never "heard" one and hope I never do.. smelling and seeing them from a distance is enough for me. PPPP UUUU.... glad it all cleaned up okay. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hate the heartbreak of the cat scream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking good! Great job!

    ReplyDelete