Saturday, June 26, 2010

Who Knew?

Anyone in my family will tell you that I am a fan of Napoleon. The first Napoleon. Emperor of the French. I have two handsome busts of him in the house, one here in the computer room and one in my bedroom.
I love history and world history is my favorite. A lot of reading time has been joyously spent reading world history ( I know, I'm a freak). And the history of England and France during those times..Nelson and Napoleon..I hardly knew whom to root for as I loved 'em both.
I happened on a quote from Napoleon that stands true for all of us today in present times. I will put it below.

Those who failed to oppose me, who readily agreed with me, accepted all my views, and yielded easily to my opinions, were those who did me the most injury, and were my worst enemies, because, by surrendering to me so easily, they encouraged me to go too far... I was then too powerful for any man, except myself, to injure me. -Napoleon Bonaparte, emperor of France

1769-1821)

And injure himself he did ultimately, by taking on a failure as a project at the end. Trying to rally once more when had he the child's toy the Magic Eight Ball to consult, he would have read " ALL SIGNS POINT TO NO." Of course, hind sight is always 20-20.

Lacking that device ( and I am kidding here) he failed miserably and we know the result.

But take what he said and apply it to every day. If no one says "no", if no one disagrees with us, if no one will point out errors and fallacies, then where are we at the crunch? Sometimes flat on our backs and out for the count. People disagreeing with us is by and large no insult to our intellect. It is a help- and another point of view that would many times benefit us to take into account before we take a big step or commit ourselves to an action or plan.

Just 'rambling on' guys. Saw the quote and thought it was cool.

1 comment:

  1. Great quote of Napoleon.
    "I can agree to disagree"...quote of my hubby.
    "Will ya jist listen for ah minute?"....ME

    ReplyDelete