Monday, July 12, 2010

Cats aren't Dogs..

What a surprise, huh? Cats are not dogs. Seems so obvious but most people who are only familiar with dogs expect that cats will have the same behaviors as dogs. That never fails to amaze me. I never expect a dog to act or think like a cat...why would you expect a cat to act like a dog? They can't, not either species, because they are a different species one from the other. Having such expectations lead to disappointment and a failure to enjoy the personality of this different species.

There are the usual common complaints from dog owners regarding cats....saying they are aloof. That's not true at all. I suppose that came about because cats don't jump up and down on you when you show up at the door..they just are there at the door to greet you. Expecting anything else is not understanding or knowing the species you speak of. Cats don't come when you call them. Dogs do. I don't think that should be a deal breaker. They don't bark or whine so while that is a dog talking to their people, cats have different ways of communication with their humans. Not barking or making noise generally does not mean they are aloof and not needing human interaction and love.

Cats do love their people. Anyone who owns one will tell you the ways in which their cat shows devotion. No, they don't jump up on you..they don't lick your face, hand, etc. they don't sniff you in intimate areas..what they do is easily seen if you are around one. If you are sick, always a loved and taken care of cat that isn't forced to live outside will stay with you almost constantly until you're better. My Robin stayed with the kids when they were sick in bed or just confined to the house. The cat only left to use the litterbox or to eat. She was demonstrably well loved though. Not ignored. Moving forward to the present my Miss Catt showed me great concern when I had a frightening severe reaction to an allergy pill. My heart was racing at 190 bpm and my blood pressure (yes, I have a machine) was frightening. I looked up adverse drug reactions and knew that was what it was. I sat with the machine on my arm and saw every 5 or 6 minutes my bpm dropped by a few. (beats-per-minute) and I had the phone in one hand to call 911 if it got worse or didn't do any better/ The bottom line is, half an hour later later when I could take my mind off myself and my condition once the bpm and blood pressure got more normal, Miss Catt had been sitting ON my feet staring into my face the entire time. When I moved the machine away and put the phone down, she got off my feet and laid down a foot or so away, still looking at me.

When I'm gone for the weekend, she climbs up at night and covers my shoulder and upper arm, snuggling deep and purring, and reaches down to hold my hand..literally, and lay her head on it to go to sleep. I think this is love. Red heart She shows love in a feline way every day.

Cats need care the same as dogs and other animals. No animal is self sufficient. Cats need food and water too, and shelter from the heat and cold. They need and crave love and affection. When they get that, they too will be loving and affectionate same as any pet. They need their litterboxes cleaned and you will see and know your reward..when they look at you and curl up trustingly on your lap or near you.

I'm just sayin'. Wink

7 comments:

  1. Man you've not seen my feral cat neighbors, amazing how well they live on their own.

    Yet a domestic cat would perish if left alone.

    I've had cats that come to me when called, like dogs.

    Yes they do love the strokes.

    An I love em as mousers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are cat people, some are dog and some are both. All you gotta do is love whatever one you include in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. I don't have a pet but I have friends and family members that do. Their pets are well loved and cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms Catt has taught you an awful lot. She is one purty kitty with tons of personality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having had both many cats and many dogs I find them to be different but only really in the sense that dogs are pack animals and act as such while cats are not and act consistently therein. Dogs are much more malleable but I find cats in the friendliness area to be close to dogs. Both are wonderful really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Cindy said it all. I love Paris to death. I also love Wally and Ross and they are different . Very much so. The Dogs stay outside and Paris rules the hous.
    Great Post as always.
    Much Love my heart sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto what CIndy said.. YEP she is right!!!

    ReplyDelete