Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wringing Wet July 21


Let me tell you..I sweated for the pictures today. I applied sun screen and OFF! before I headed out. I considered going to buy a flea and tick collar and buckling it on but I passed on the idea..just this time., It was 85 degrees at 0945. The humidity was awful. I had a bandanna tied around my forehead and I sweat so much I looked like I was crying. When I got home, I had to change clothes completely from the skin out. AND dry the back of my hair by my neck line(it's mid back length).

But the flutterbye's and bees and wildflowers were so glad to see me after a month's absence. You shoulda heard them when I walked up. I rolled around on the weeds with the chiggers and ticks and others and clicked away, flinging off sweat. I was truly drenched when I got home. Hey, it's a humid job but worth it.

That's what made it all worth while..their shouting and clapping their leaves and petals. The butterflies waved at me too. It was good to be back among them after over a month's absence.

The human volunteers who work in the arboretum were all there..maybe half a dozen, and they were cleaning out the beds of wild flowers. Many flowers were done for the season, as for example the Cone flowers and the Speedwell, the Coreopsis died back and the butterfly bushes were raggedy. I got a chance to chat a little with the volunteers as I made my way through the bushes and beds however, and that was nice. They commented on my kneeling pad for my bony knees when I kneel. They each had one too.

I was anxious to see what I may have gotten right so I wanted to put the memory stick into the computer right away after I got home but I had to bathe, dry my hair with the dryer (no shampoo till tonight) and change clothing completely..inside out before I could get to the computer. That was a first in discomfort.


Meanwhile I haven't done a lot more. Just too awful out to inspire me much. Better than an ice storm though. :-) That's 4, 5 months away.




10 comments:

  1. so often moths n butterflies are confused.... yet the moth has as much design and color as the butterflies.

    now chiggers...... ohhh i loathe them

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is lovely. I will be waiting to see more. HOT here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this shot is gorgeous! Worth the sweat for sure. It's the same here and no end in sight -- triple digits tomorrow and through the weekend. Ever wonder why it is that weeds grow in all this but everything else dies? I don't get it and everything is a mess. I went out this morning to fill the water bowls for all the wildlife...30 to 40 ft from the door, and in seconds the sweat was pouring down my face and you know how that salty sweat feels in your eyes! I was blind. Almost got a shot of a squirrel, a monk, a grackle, a cardinal, and a blue jay all drinking at the exact same time from the same bowl today, but of course when I went to grab the camera, I missed them all. Hate that. Would have been a great pic.
    Ok, this is my blog for the day. Gawd, when will I ever learn to type on my OWN page, lol.
    Later ~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shot Carole and well worth the sweat.
    It has been hot here too as in the high 80's and 90's. Thank goodness my clients all but one have AC's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a great pic---but didn't see it on Spaces. Don't you just love Live Writer??? It is SO easy to put blogs on two or more places with it. We have a lovely marine layer here (that doesn't reach over the hills to where we live) so it keeps it cooler when we do go over that hill. Santa Rosa should be in the high 70's today when I go to CostCo! GREAT! I love that salt air too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful. I would say that it is totally worth the sweating. If I were doing that, I'd be happy to sweat too.

    You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant.. Just beautiful. It was hot yestesday and I was sweating getting Bees but did get them. I dont think its as hot as it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this space on Black Carole. Beautiful. We frome spaces like this one. Guess were all related. Love that dont you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, what a horrible wet July! A complete wash out. I have hardly used my camera at all this month. AND our guttering is leaking all over the place. Had visions of K and I having to swim out of the flat the other day. Might take a shower under it later. Gorgeous photo as always, and yes, Live Writer is the best Sue! I post both to Blogger and Wordpress with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love your photo. I finally got one of a butterfly today myself. Everyone here always inspires me to keep trying photographing new things. You blog at spaces on your butterfly outing spurred me to try and get those darn elusive butterflies. It's only my second one. Always something new to strive for in photography. today I was in the garden after the sun went down. Big mistake, by the time I finished a little weeding I must have been bit 10 times. But for me the bites don't effect me after 1/2 an hour. Never itch again.

    ReplyDelete