Thursday, August 5, 2010

Poor Tomato

Remember all my excitement about my tomato plant? It grew and grew upward to over 5 feet tall. It made many tomatoes and had about 2 dozen green ones on it when the tragedy happened.

Here I will ask your knowledge so this which I am about to tell, might not happen again. About three weeks ago, the plant began to seem to die off in the center/inner parts. Yellowy brown coloration on some of the leaves. My brother passed away a week ago this Monday as you may recall. I watered the tomato well before we left to take that long trip. I came back and some of the branches appeared somewhat whithered but most of all, they were drooping a lot and quite a number of leaves were discolored. All of the 2 dozen or so green tomatoes of varying sizes were OK. I left to go to the City yesterday with a friend and returned 4 hours later to find the plant on its side on the deck. It looked so bad I just cut it down. I salvaged one red tomato.What happened??? Three weeks ago it was healthy and hale. How can I prevent that again next year do you think?

Breathlessly yours in anticipation,

Me.

8 comments:

  1. Your tomato has lived a normal life. What you described is the way a tomato plant acts when it is nearing the end. If you would have saved the green tomatoes and wrapped them separately in newspaper and placed them in a paper bag they would eventually ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RATS! I wish I had known that but I sure will for the next one next year. Thanks Beth..had no idea. It's been since I was, like, 20 years old that Ive had one. That was at least, what? ten years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it died and I'm quite sure I'm too far away for my black thumb to have done the deed. I'm sorry Carole, if I had any idea what caused this I'd let you know...too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, the only thing I know is that they like hot days and cool nights...maybe its just been too hot & humid & it got root rot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your problem was probably caused by the heat stress in combination with some sort of fungus.
    Just try it again next year, but NOT in the same location!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sad you weren't able to have a mess of fried greens tomatoes and invited me over to help eat them. Together we could cook up a pot of beans and a pan of corn bread.I'd bring the apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear of your dispare. I didnt know what Beth knows and now I know. Gessh that sounds funny. I thought too much water. Root rot or something like that and or a fungus. I have had these two things before. I better check mine in my Garden again.
    Beth Im sure is right and you did all you had too. Next year will be different. Try more plants.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like what always happened to our plants at the end of the summer. They're all pooped out from making all those wonderful, as you would say, 'maters.

    ReplyDelete