Friday, November 19, 2010

*Thumps Head Against the Wall*

Well, isn't that something? What. you ask? Well, on the way home from the annual blood letting at the doctor's office I saw the O/D Off light was on, on the dashboard. This is the third time this year so far that I have seen it. The engine was turning at 2800 rpm at 45 mph. Not a good thing. Last time that happened I was on the way back from Knoxville and had to have it that way all the way home. I got home, turned off the engine (of course) and within half an hour, re-started to take it to the mechanic I use. Well, low and behold, no light. So, I went back in the house to live another day. But, as I said, 3 times so far this year it has done that. I called as it did it on my way home this morning and I have to go out of town in a while.

When I got there, he came out, looked and here is something I obviously didn't know. There IS an overdrive button and it is black and located JUST under the chrome button you press to change gears. Who knew? I had been inadvertently pressing that button as well as the gear changing button on occasion, hence, the light. SIGH! I feel silly but grasping at straws to make myself feel better, but I have to say the button is invisible unless you look for it. And I have to say I never went through the owners manual to specifically see where the sucker is located! NOW I know. Good grief!

Story ended well though. No money out of the wallet. ♥

15 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHA...ohhh I am so sorry to laugh, but you see, I did the same thing about 20 yrs ago and that poor engine was just groaning at the thought of me getting behind the wheel. Can't tell you how many times I looked at that tach, saw the revolutions, and slowed to a crawl so as not to burn the whole thing out. And just like you, when I took it in, they told me about that button, too. At that moment, I really wanted to become invisible :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No money spent is a good thing. :-)

    I'm clueless about cars, not having had access to one of my own in a decade. I only have to worry when the public transit bus engines catch fire, which I've experienced twice! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it might make you feel kind of silly but I say that's far better than bringing it to the garage and finding out that way! It's a snowy day as we begin our first concerts this evening so life will start to get exciting on the weekends now. I find it a bit hard to take to have school with the kids all week then having the weekend spent having our concerts but that's our life. Be blessed today and every day Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ?who knew?!! hardly a thing to kick yourself about :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. chuckling across the carpet as I roll along

    ReplyDelete
  6. These things can be scary. I had to read about that one too, didn't know it was anything to do with the rpm....lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. O/D is Overdrive, I use my overdrive when I am on the highway. When you use overdrive this means you are droping to a lower gear, in other words your engine speed (RPM) is slower but your driving at the same speed. This is ment to save money and fuel at long distances. To use your overdrive in the city is not good, it could burn out your transmission.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overdrive is also ment to be used at speeds of at least 50 miles an hour and higher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uhhh GLAD I don't drive a stick! Just sayin'
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We live and learn. I have never read the owner's manual for my car but I know I should. I am glad that you got that all figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well...now you know! Sure glad it didn't cost you any of those green papers Miss Catt talks about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's also a button located in your trunk. It's in every car. In the event of a hard collision the fuel pump shuts off. I was hit from behind while at a light. Little damage to my car and a broken grill on the offending auto. After we exchanged paper she left and my car wouldn't start. I had it towed to my mechanic. After I told him what happened he asked me if I knew about the button in the trunk. You press it and it reactivates the fuel pump. If I had known that 30 years ago I could have saved $40 to have my car towed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that's too funny but a good lesson and a good thing it didn't cost you anything. I have been using google reader to quickly catch up on all the past blogs I miss from so many people. Way easier then loading each page. Especially when I don't always have the time. The weather here has finally turned really cold with snow. Hard to believe it was so beautiful just last week. Now it time to try and catch up here again. Oh loved you photo of the buildings and sky you took on a previous blog also the lavendar. Mine never did bloom this year. I will be getting my glasses this year in Mexico,will only cost around 250.00. I was suppose to get them a year ago already. Still just using my reading glasses from over the counter. Have a wonderful weekend Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carole I am glad it all worked out for you in the end, and it didn't cost you anything. Now you know the rest of the story! And will not make that mistake again. :)
    Have a wonderful weekend my friend, and thank you for stopping by and leaving such nice comments on my blog. Hugs, Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that you are safe and Miyuki too:-)
    I don't believes in you have problem with B/P?
    though without that still gave you shocked poor Sis.
    Have a peaceful weekend,
    xoxox
    Sis.

    ReplyDelete