Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Long Goodbye


Before I forget, geese don't have teeth per se. What I had mentioned in my blog yesterday was their beaks have serrations on the edges (like a bread knife's edge) that LOOK like teeth as can be seen by that photo I took.

I went to Calvin's family's receiving of friends last night and it was jam packed with all of we colleagues, as well as family and other friends. I was not surprised. I knew it would be. Parking was difficult to find. I was so pleased for Calvin and his family that so many of his friends were there to say goodbye.

Calvin would have loved it! Seriously, he would have worked the room if he could. It was a happy reunion as well as a sorrowful goodbye to someone we cared so much about. After the long line had gone past the where Calvin lay and we had greeted and spoken to his family, we went about speaking to one another..many of whom we had not seen in years. That usually happens at wakes and funerals afterward, or before any services. And I remarked to my two dear friends as we stood outside later that Calvin would have loved every second of that gathering. It was a tribute to him, yes and it was easy to see the family feeling among the colleagues that we all of us have for one another. That bond is the reason why our monthly meeting is so well attended by those working and not when the working have a day off (shift workers usually or higher up monthly supervisors who can take off for the luncheon). Calvin would have, had things been different, right among us all, a treasured "family" member of a tightly knit group..all of us bound together by something extraordinary. The last thing regarding him that I will say here is: I have never laughed till tears and so helplessly except when Calvin said things at my expense. If you said something, however serious sometimes that could be used as fodder to make fun of you...he would find it, say it and you would be laughing until tears ran..all at your own expense. (nothing mean natured, trust me).

Well, I had to say it..sorry I took you along for the ride. I'll miss 'im. ♥

8 comments:

  1. Lots of hugs and Light to everyone who cared about him. To be able to make people laugh, and not be mean-spirited about it, was a true gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That the turnout of so many friends was a tribute to Calvin of the best kind. To have so many people who cared and will miss him shows what kind of a wonderful person he must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful tribute I must say. I am sorry for your loss my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful celebration of his life. And from what you've said, I suspect exactly what he'd expect from all of you. It's always hard to lose a friend. Thankfully the memories can't be taken away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tribute for a beloved friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely remembrance of someone you hold near and dear.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tight nit groups with people that love you to pieces and come together in times like that...sounds like the jewel in a crown of a wonderful person. Bless you Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The older I get the more I learn to embrace the people I care about. It's all so fragile.

    ReplyDelete