Sunday, April 3, 2011

Oh it is that wonderful time again!

That time is the first week of April when I cook for the hummingbird's ---their first nectar when they arrive here at my house.

No one much shows up QUITE this early but I need to be ready if they do. The males will arrive first and the females a few days later. The males happen to leave first in the end of September or the first day or so of October- and the females leave a few weeks later.

I always cook for my hummingbirds. One measured cup of white sugar, and 4 cups of water. No red food coloring needed and it may even be harmful. Believe me, I have proved this is so as my feeder that is filled with clear nectar is always caked with hummingbirds. Stir sugar and the water up in a pan, heat to boiling point. Allow to cool, and poor into a glass quart or large sized jar and cap tightly. Of course do this AFTER you have filled the feeder. :-)

This is the time of year I so look forward to. The arrival of the hummingbirds and my first personal sighting of one right here at my deck feeder. I love them.

IN warm weather, or more importantly in hot weather, don't allow the nectar to stay in the feeder longer than 4 days tops. It sours and may become filled with fungi as it is spoiling in the heat--- that will hurt your hummingbird babies. (I call 'em babies. I don't care if they are adults). This is my feeder and one of my female hummingbirds last year.

So, the nectar I cooked for them is now cooling and later I will have the pleasure of filling their feeder and the anticipation of watching outside constantly for them. You'll read about it here if I see one. :-) P.S. Please..don't ever use honey or artificial sweeteners if you make their nectar for them as I do. Google it if you feel I am in error but I am not in error. Use cane sugar only. http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/hummingbird/2003034557008251.html

17 comments:

  1. I hardly ever see hummingbirds, don't have anything to draw them. Not sure they'd come around, with the fur kids anyway! How lovely it must be to have them so close -- and oh, all the photo ops! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to make my own nectar like you when there were plenty of the little hummers. Now the hummers are few and far between and probably the nectar would go bad so when one shows for the flowers it is treat. I mostly feed the seed poppers now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my Dad is such a hummingbird fanatic, but we have a while to wait still. We don't have many, but seem to end up with a couple of residents nearby, usually females, for the summer. Will look forward to seeing when you get your first visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure it's time here yet, but when I saw your post...I put my feed up, too. And I knew about the make your own is best recipe but great that you shared the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hummingbirds too and when Jim was here we had a feeder on the porch for them and we could sit and watch them feed. What a lovely memory you have given me.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey the hummers are back there. They are still invading the feeder here in the desert. Got to see some babies up close at someone elses house. One landed on a guys hat. Yes I have a photo will I ever get it out. Someday, Someday... Just been so busy working landscaping, haven't had much time to process. Trying to get a desert landscaping blog put together. Still enjoying quiet afternoons here during the heat of the day. The heat has sucked the life out of me. The hummers should be showing up at our place up North about the time we get home. Love your header here. That's focusing on the tiny bee. Thanks for hanging in there with me though I haven't made it around to everyone as much as I would like. Happy Spring Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im sure enjoy your photos Carole. This is a beauty . I hope to see some in a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That;s what I forgot. Thank you for the reminder. I so look forward to the bitty hummers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your petal and bee shot. It's perfect. We've had a few ruby throated hummingbirds during the past 2 weeks. They're soo tiny. Love watching them too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry We don't have hummingbirds in this country,
    I love to have them such a beautiful birds.
    Never mind you can't everything:-)
    xoxoox
    Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I copied down you recipe and instructions. I had the commercial kind once and didn't get hardly any birds. They are such fascinating creatures to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these sweethearts too, though hardly see them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I really envy those that have some nice weather right now...we had a snow/hail mix and then two days of the fifties before it goes to the forties again...spring is likely not going to really show up until it's almost summer around here. This keeps me inside more and digging through my archives for pictures...sigh. Glad you're having a time of it with the humming birds. It's hard to imagine something so small being "grown up" isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've thought of you several times recently when I have seen items decorated with hummers. Looking forward to those pix. Also, love the magnolia pix you have shown recently.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so sweet of you to cook meal for hummingbirds :-) They got a very cook! I have been thining about getting bird food for my boys' bird TV as well, but have not done yet.
    This photo of hummingbird is so pretty. It cheers me up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know if we have humming birds around here. I have never seen one. I did see one in southern California but it was gone before I could grab my camera.
    Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad I'm not the only one to put a hummer feeder out early. Last year I saw the first one on April 11. I, too use the 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water ratio.

    ReplyDelete