Tuesday, May 24, 2011

You know what I've noticed?

I was sitting there a few minutes ago eating my lunch of some Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs. And I thought..whatever happened to those commercials we used to see on daytime TV at least, for Chef Boyardee? Remember those? School bell tolling and kids (European kids) coming home for lunch and their mom's serving them bowls of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs.

I don't see any of the detergent commercials of yore either. What happened to washing your diapers (lots are saying "wash diapers"? don't you just throw them away)? in Ivory Snow or Dreft? Do they even sell that any more? What happened to Maxwell House good to the last drop commercials? What about the commercials for Mrs. Folgers and her mountain grown coffee? And what about "what Mr Chase didn't know about coffee, Mr. Sanborn did!"? Where did it go? And Chock Full O'Nuts, that "heavenly coffee". Wrigley Spearmint gum? Blue Star Ointment? Canned meats like Treet and Spam. Crisco Oil..Crisco Vegetable Shortening for flaky pirecrusts? Tang? KoolAid? Royal Pudding ("rich rich rich with flavor..smooth smooth smooth as silk..." SaniFlush? Red Devil Lye? Some, few really of these products still exist but I miss the ads sometimes.

Gone with the years...

12 comments:

  1. Those were some good commercials. Remember Brylcreme a little dab will do ya. You wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with pepsodent. Now you need tooth whitener. So many good ones, and good products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss those too. Those were the days of better foods offered to us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really notice what the daytime ads emphasize but you are right, it isn't those things. Homemaking has given way to a lot of busy working Moms. I even wonder who really watches daytime tv on a regular basis - I DVR some shows, as I would be afraid of missing them at the time they are on.

    The Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gees, I didn't even know they still made Chef Boyardee.

    My favourite old commercial was one for Red Rose tea, with a "butler" and "lord of the manor" or some such.

    Now commercials, especially at Christmas time, are geared to pull at your heart strings. Even Canadian Tire commercials, Tim Horton's, etc. Their products are marketed to create the ideal family time or spousal relationship, which is absurd in real life! :-D

    I do like the Wendy's commercials we see in Canada. Not sure if they're the same commercials in the US. But I think they have a rather clever and creative marketing department.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and who can forget Plop, plop, fizz, fizz?

    I just heard a thing on NPR about Mr Boyardi--you can listen to it, too :-)

    http://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/136398042/the-man-the-can-recipes-of-the-real-chef-boyardee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alberto VO5, Fitch shampoo, Modess, Armour Star, Blue Diamond, My-T-Fine, Swanson's products....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still see Maxwell House commercials on Wheel of Fortune each night, the rest of them, no.
    I used to buy Chef boy spaghetti in a box mix many years ago.
    And now I am feeling nostalgic.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am feeling nostalgic too....and old!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never gave it much thought but now that I do...OW THAT MAKES MY HEAD HURT!

    Okay, now I'll date myself. As a boomer and the oldest of 6 I not only remember those cloth diapers but still know how to fold and change one. I thought they were a thing of the past until I went to work as an outside machinist
    at Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock in the early 80s.

    One night my mate and I were assigned to prep the torpedo tubes on the USS Newport News (a fast attack submarine) for alignment inspection to make sure they hadn't been damaged during installation. This is done using a laser aimed at targets placed inside the tube. Before installing the targets the interior of the tube has to be hand polished to perfection. When the foreman handed us our assignment sheet and check list he also handed each of us a brand new package of cloth diapers. They don't throw lint and are perfect for polishing stainless steel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss Breck shampoo! My sisters & I used to have long pretty hair like 'the Breck girls"
    those old jingles stuck in your head & worked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still remember old commercial songs and lines which I heard long time ago when I was still in Japan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit that I love the papst blue ribbon commercial. Remember...from the land of sky blue waters? Oh and don't forget snap, crackle and pop, Loved that one too. Bring back the good old days please!

    ReplyDelete