Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 1

Started physical therapy today.  ZIP range of movement.  Hurts to try to turn palm up..impossible to right now. Can't touch thumb to anything but forefinger and that's a strain but I still have to spin my wheels trying.  Break was on the inside wrist bone..not the outside so work with my thumb is affected for now.

She gave me a size small edema glove..silky material with finger tips only sticking out..goes about 6 inches above wrist.  The intense swelling indeed went down a bit but that is because of the gentle compression.  Still have to wear the brace sleeping and driving as this glove gives no support.  I take it off for therapy exercizes I do 5 times a day.  5 pm will start round 3 and I'll get 4 in.  Tomorrow I'll time them better. Sure feels better than that flesh eating brace 7/24.

Oh, before I go..there are no breaks visible in my x-ray last blog.  My break was a tiny fractured tip on the inside wrist bone.  Those lines you see are fluid build up in the palm of my hand.  Dr. was very pleased with this x-ray.  ;-)

xoxo






15 comments:

  1. Hopefully day 1 was the hardest and they will slowly get easier. Mo has never had any breaks, but had a frozen shoulder once that required a lot of PT. The first day was the most difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to sear edema stockings after my last surgery and they worked very well. Know all too well about the flesh eating braces.

    The neck brace I wore for 111 miserable days after my cervical fusion was not designed for a human with whiskers. Then there was that body brace I was stuck in for a year after my lumbar fusion. Both times I ended up sleeping in a recliner and having to relearn how to sleep in a bed.

    To give you an indication of my experiences with braces as soon as the Drs. said I no longer needed them I took them to the pistol range and blew them to smithereens.

    Let me know if you want to borrow a weapon. I'll even throw in the ammo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! It seems arduous and painful, but of course necessary. Good luck! Purrs from the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been waiting to hear how it went today. Hopefully it will get better each day.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there girl - it will get better each day and one day this all will be history!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find reading your progress I am taking tylenol for your pain, lol. Oh man take care and how is the knee??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see you are slowly getting better. I hope you continue to heal well so this will soon be a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never broken a bone so I can't relate. I was bedridden for six weeks back in 1963 after a ruptured appendix and had to relearn to walk. So have patience. I know that's easy for me to say but I did relearn how to walk and you will regain full use of your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are over the hill now and each day getting better just be patience.
    xoxoxo Sis, Miyuki, Miss Catt, Victoria.
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Each day get easier, but at the moment it seems like forever. When I broke my ankle I was still on crutches when the therapy started and she took one away. Wasn't too thrilled but it did make progress easier after all. I guess they know what their doing, though we may not like it a first. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it gets better with time. And that time passes by quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Sis love and hugs to you..you are in my thoughts daily. Keep up the good work.. HUGS
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. blessings stopped by to get an update and you didn't disapoint. ouch...at the pain and yeh at the progress. one day at a time. take care and stay blessed...
    \
    continue to heal
    rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice blog... have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the time passes fast during this therapy. I can only imagine how it is.

    ReplyDelete