Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day o' Pain

Back to the therapist today.  I did not know that there is a difference between Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.  I have an Occupational Therapist who specializes in hands.  Occupational therapist gets you ready to get back into you regular every day life or work.  Physical therapist works with whatever is ailing and as with legs for example, gets you walking again.  Occupational gets you back into the normal everyday things.  Such as with me..eating with my right hand instead of my left as I have had to do..combing my hair. etc etc.

But man, tears to my eyes again.  No, not rolling down onto my face but my eyes smarted with them as my hand was bent backward since it is as stiff as a cardboard cutout..and as each finger was forced down into my palm..when they don't "meet" my palm by two inches or more,  yet.  Too painful and stiff.  But I had no choice today, down to my palm they went.  However, on the last few moments she said not to baby my hand any more and let it do anything it could in every day things.  To try regardless and yes, it will hurt.  Not to be ridiculous like trying to lift pounds of things..not now, too weak, but to go ahead and let my right hand assist with driving in any way it can..and to try to lift ordinary household things with my left hand assisting.  I actually went out, started the car with my left hand..too hard with not hardly any range of motion to turn the key...but..I used the gearshift and shifted.  First time in weeks and yes, it hurt.  A lot.  :-)




21 comments:

  1. Hang in there, I'm reminded of the first walk I took around the yard after surgery. Hurt like hell, but it was SO nice to do something on my OWN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Wuss that I am, I know I'd be cussing a blue streak during the therapy!

    Healing purrs from the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading your description of your therapy session made me cringe. Ouchie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by to let you know I am thinking of you Carole. I am glad to hear of your progress , and sorry that you have to go through the pain and discomfort. One day this will all be behind you.
    Hugs, Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We won't say it is "good pain" but you are making progress and that is the important part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see you're starting make use of the weak hand a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole, I guess what the pain is telling us is that we are still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch. But trying to use your hand more in everyday things, even if it hurst, does seem to make some sense. We hope it gets easier day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MUST USE SPELL CHECK! I gave my therapist a little zing when he asked me what I had planned after one particularly brutal session. I told him I was going home to get a rifle. After a long moment of silence I added that I needed to take it to the gun shop to have some work done and the color returned to his face:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laughing over Chip's comment!

    You are doing very well Twin and I am proud of you. Each day it will get a bit better.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL on Chop's rifle ;-)
    Hang in there kiddo, we're all root'in for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I meant CHIP'S rifle...excusie me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Progress is painful for sure. You have it in you and will be back to clicking that camera and giving us those awesome pictures. Hugs girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say that it reminds me of the trick they use of tying the good arm behind your back to get that other one moving...
    Like putting a patch over the good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It makes my eyes water just to imagine it all Carole. I've not had serious injury to deal with in a number of years but I remember what it's like all too well. One thing is sure: when healing has fully come you will have certainly have earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear you're to start using your hand normally, or as close as possible. Seems that would help strengthen it. Progress is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blessings....
    ouch.......sweet heavens....bare with it my friend, this too shall pass but in the mean time, take it one occupational visit at a time.

    take care...
    rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sis! it is hurt me, when I read your post that I never thought that much you need through tough
    therapy...I'm sorry that it must be very hard for you. Hope another couple weeks then finished?
    Please take care,
    xoxoxo Sis, Miyuki,Miss Catt, Victoria,
    Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are doing good dear friend. Keep up with the good work even tho it's killing you. Unfortunately, "no pAIN - no gain!" Pretty soon this will all be "history."

    ReplyDelete
  21. You KNOW you are always in my prayers for healing fast. Hugs to you Sis!! : )

    ReplyDelete