Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Not an auspicious beginning to the day

I went to therapy early this morning and after having seen the Orthopaedist yesterday and heard his pronouncement that he would like to see even less swelling (this despite the fact that the swelling has gone down well)  and the prescription he called in for me.

So...I mentioned this swelling and the gel the Dr. had called in  that I was going to pick up right after I left the therapy visit.  She knew what the gel is and so applied some to my wrist before mashing and bending me into a arm shaped pretzel.  So.with that, I headed off the the drugstore whereupon the pharmacist herself spoke to me and requested confirmation that I am deathly allergic to apririn/ibuprofen.  I acknowledged that I was indeed and she told me that the gel is an anti-inflammatory with aspirin-like substance in it.  "Oh noes" I said.  I told her that it had been applied to my wrist both sides and ultrasound applied.  Se said that as it was a topical application the results would be slower for me allergy wise.  I should be cautious.  Cautions my toe!  I headed straight to my doctor's office where they worked me in pretty quickly.  The left side of my tongue in the back started a half-hearted swell, but that was it.  WHEW!  So, word to the wise..as always, when you are allergic to something, try your best to prevent exposure.  All of my doctors have the notice that I am allergic to it but..Dr. who prescribed must never have noticed.   That was a close call.  Could have been a close call I should say.

The cat has spent last night and the night before making absolutely sure that it was indeed me in the bed all night.  Multiple inspections, sniffings of my hair and ears and sounding her meow horn let me know that her valuable patrols were in progress.  A load off MY mind, for certain.  Sigh.


18 comments:

  1. My goodness that was a close call. I hope you will give this Dr. a call and let him know, to be more careful next time. If your pharmacist would not have been alert, you might have had a real problem. Glad everything turned out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack - serious close call. I worry about my mom and finally parked myself in her dr office one morning since she wasn't getting a straight story and the seeming run around. There is now a big note (on her big file) about only 2 docs in the practice who can see her and her allergies. I get that people are busy, but stuff like this is too big to "overlook". Glad you are ok.....and that the pharmacist caught it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank heavens that was caught in time. Jim went through that so much with meds as he was allergic to just about everything. Horst is right, you should let the doctor that prescribed it know.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the pharmacist! Goes to prove they really DO need all that chemistry training, since they are not just responsible for dispensing.

    A little frightening. Quick thinking on your part too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sis! that was scary! I thought your doctor's has a register's your medical history which gave you side affected it?
    Anyway I AM SO GLAD you are okay:-)
    But you can't take an anti-inflammatory, that is hard for you if you has swelling from hurts feet?

    I have allergic to the Streptomycin but these days don't used much.

    You have a good rest,
    xoxoxox Sis, Miss Catt, Miyuki, and Victoria.
    Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised the therapist didn't ask before she used it. For that matter, should she have used it without a doctors OK.

    I understand that was scary, I am so allergic to meds, simply refuse to take them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gees, scary! We're glad you're okay, that it was caught in time! :-O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary stuff! Swelling of the tongue could get to be a dangerous thing in a hurry. What a relief that things worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy that was close. Happy is was caught with little consequences. Thank God for the pharmacist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! Thank God for the Pharmacist. I am sure glad you are okay Carole.

    Maybe Miss Cat was concerned about you and just checking to make sure you were okay. They are so smart and can sense things as you know.
    Thinking about you this day, and praying for you.
    oxox Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crap! How could that doctor not pay attention to the fact that you're allergic to aspirin/ibuprofen?! Those are the most widely used anti-inflammatory meds, so an allergy to them should've raised a red flag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had more than my share of doctors who apparently don't take the time to read my chart and learn that A)penicillin sends me into anaphylaxic shock, B)codeine give me hives and C) I discovered, the hard way of course, that I was allergic to latex when the cannula they had me on post surgery caused burns on my face. Once I had surgery to repair a wrist broken during a night training jump when I was in the service. When I was being prepped the medtech used a Sharpie to write "Wrong arm!" on the healthy wrist and made me initial it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, it sounds scary!! It could have been much worse...I'm so glad you are ok. Doctors must check the paperwork more carefully! They have a long list of questions they let us answer. I think allergy section must be reviewed carefully. I hope they will be more careful from now on. But again, we are glad you are okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blessings.....
    the pharmasist is always the best one to talk to. the doctors don't really know about medicine, they know about the body. and what is recommended for such and such but the breakdown and ins and outs of medication you'd have to see the pharmasist

    thank god.....
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sis!
    Thank you for your information the Clartin D
    Which I can buy in here thank you Sis:-)
    Although thank you for your encouragement for my golf that I was so happy to seen your comments in my space"early morning before 6-00AM".
    Yes! our six ladies two lost from other so we won the our match played but another three more to go Whew!!
    It is hard works to beat other but still I enjoyed very much.
    Hope you have a good night sleep with your Sweet girl! 1650 Hurs.
    xoxoxo Sis,Miss catt,miyuki,and Victoria.
    Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Carole thank goodness it was nothing more. These days you have to be so careful. Love your new header. Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad everything worked out. You do have to check behind DR's. On my dismissal form from a hospital, there was a med mistake. I told the nurse that I don't take this. I told her, "well, I'll tell him".

    ReplyDelete