Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lecture on Photography

 I got to attend a lecture given by the brilliant photog, Bill Fortney entitled "Learning to See Photographically". What a great 2 1/2 hours. I loved every WORD! I am always so blind to everything around me. I have always known that but looking at all of those fabulous (298) examples of his..breathtaking. I have no imagination but right now, I am inspired. He was talking about the craft of photography to some small degree  (hardware, settings, etc) but he emphasized the ART of photography in the lecture. Seeing art and interest in the simplest of things..things I have always just passed on by, and things I just see and take no note of! What a night. Loved it. It opened my eyes so much that looking at a storm grate on the way to the car got my interest.  I also loved that he said whatever light you happen to be in (when things change from the ideal) make something good from that light.  Look until you find what works in it, to photograph.  

Horst, you would have LOVED this presentation.  The guy has a great personality too.  Very humble (for real, not fake) and so filled with ideas and information that you can use.  

10 comments:

  1. I'd have loved to have been there too, actually. Because most of the snapshots I take are floral, particularly macro. So I typically don't "see" other things, really have to make a conscious effort to notice the urban landscape, for instance.

    Re: Derry -- It was just this once, but if I see him making small pee clumps later today and/or tomorrow, I'll call and get him in ASAP.

    I've panicked before over pee clumps, over one boy or another, and it's turned out to be just my paranoia, so I hope that's all it is today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use a course like that too. I'm one of those "point and shoot" girls. That blue picture you posted was interesting because of the different texture. So happy you enjoyed the lecdture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carole, when I was a pro photograher, I used to go to lectures like that at least 3 times a year, on many different kinds of photography. Loved the lectures very much. Kept notes and any kind of reading material that was handed out. was very motivational. Learned tons of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed that so much Carole. I always wish that Love was more of a communicator so you guys could talk photography. She has attended so many courses and works with so many local photographers here. The magazines she works with have given her lots of opportunities. Myself I've always enjoyed the art more than the equipment but know for sure that the two working together is better than one without the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound so very interesting. I would have loved it, even though I have such a little camera and I'm sure Jack would have and could have learned a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lecture sounds fascinating. I would have enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom says that sounds so very interesting and inspiring. Her Dad was a "real" photographer - she feels like she just "takes photos". Big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had such great time!! Sounds like the lecture is very inspiring, even for people not interested in photography. I would love to hear his lecture if I have a chance. The photo of sky with clouds is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I said before I am ripe for this kind of lecture. I know nothing about photography.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like it was a Wonderful lecture ;) Would have loved to hear what he had to say......
    Hugs~
    Angel

    ReplyDelete