Saturday, September 17, 2011

You Never Know

It's a given that you never know..you aren't always (or even usually) in control and again, you never know.

I was noting to my oldest who was here over night that as I ran around crisscrossing my own invisible tracks in and out of the house..handling everything with ease and getting a lot of things done that as per usual...you never fully appreciate what you have until you don't have it any more.  My accident with the horrible blow to my leg and the resulting infection that set up..the pain, swelling and yes, fear regarding that infection..the broken right wrist..all of it put me to only sitting barely able to move at all for weeks though I wouldn't say it here in the blog how bad it really was. (some blogger family knew because they called me up and had to hear all the torrid details) Thank goodness (literally) that family gathered around me to assist while I was helpless.

Why say all of this old news? Just that you never appreciate what you have till it is taken from you.  For 6 weeks I was as helpless as any infant almost only that I could make a stab at bathing..sort of..and I could talk.  That's about it.

So today, as I whizzed around getting everything that needed doing, done, I was as I have always been..deeply thoroughly appreciative of the gift of a normal life..and in this case- again.

As I was coming out of a store this afternoon, a woman was driving too fast through the pick up lane in front of the store and almost hit me.  She and I locked eyes in her rear view mirror.  There was no use in accosting her, though just a few years ago I would have done so and she'd take a while to get over it.  But I have put those days behind me I think as it accomplishes nothing and diminishes me.  I hope I am made of better stuff.

But, you never know.  From one second in time to the next you don't know what will happen, why, to whom and how.  Food for thought.

PeeESS:  Some of the blogging family in the Admiral's blogging family and here were such staunch and continual support to me in that really black time that I can never say enough how grateful I am.  The Admiral and I both have friends of the heart.  Though we have not met, still the genuine love and caring is there..both ways.  Mary, Simba, Rosemary,  Michi san, my Sis, Beth, Carol Dee are among the ones who cared enough to call and email frequently, sometimes every day and though I could only say how much in pain I was, they never flagged in their friendship and care. Twitter friends and the Twitter prayercircle there and constant mention and my Flickr cat family there..they are gold and gems....was uplifting and  I feel like a rich woman with the kindness and love and get better gifts and cards that I received. Know you are loved in return.  xoxoxox

14 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, food for thought. Thank you for the wake up call. We are all here at Casa de Simba very glad you can whizz around getting things done again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you don't know, and sometimes I find the fear of that rather paralyzing. There's also that old expression, "There but for the grace of god go I."

    Having just returned from Mom's, I see how precious mobility and mental acuity are, because Harry (her hubby, my step-dad) certainly is losing both. And most of the time he's aware of it, and it must be so terribly difficult to just feel like your normal Self, but have a body (and mind) that is slipping away from you, oh so slowly.

    My, that was cheery.

    I'm going to make my eggless pumpkin "pie" recipe now. LOL. Have a great evening, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox from me, Audrey and Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said many times dear friend, you would do the same if the shoe were on the other foot. I think we are all just so happy you have those dark days behind you and can get on with living again. xxxxxxxoooooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE all want good friends No,we all NEED good friends.
    Whatever our difficulties or joys, it's the internet of those who care about us that makes all the difference.
    Internet friends are long away from me but so near by my hearts to my blogger friends:-)

    Sis! I'm so glad you are bounce back from your terrible time(which I was frustration for can't help for you)NOW you get on with enjoy the rest of life.
    xoxoxox Sis,Miyuki,Miss Catt, and Victoria.

    Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you are getting around and mending. You really had family support, so blessed you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are so much better and doing your own thing. It's so hard to all of a sudden not to be able to do the most simple things. Even now I get so discussed when I lose another function, but it's a more gradual thing. I am proud you did the therapy, I'm sure it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very true Twin. I am so glad you are on the mend. Remember that old song Big Yellow Taxi?
    "They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    With a pink hotel, a boutique
    And a swinging hot spot
    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot."
    I thought of this song immediately when I read your post.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever been more aware in my life how fleeing things can be and just how quickly things can change. If we become a better and stronger person through this it's surely worth it. I'm very grateful that you've had people to stand with you in the difficult times. I know that you've done that for me though it also was as much listening to my monologue as much as anything. I'm happy to know of the care you've received...and blessed, really blessed. I pray that the weekend goes well for you Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for putting your thoughts into words. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each day brings something different. Something unknown. Though often we look right past it a don't see it. I wonder if that is where the expression "take time to smell the roses" came from. So happy that you are healing so well. Though I've often jokes about being waited on when I had my broken ankle in reality it wasn't any fun at all. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right! We don't appreciate what we have until it is taken away. I should be more grateful for what I have...my health, my family, etc. Thank you for the great reminder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very thankful you are zipping around again and blogging about zipping around & things like buying your new hat :)
    I missed you and was worried because I was sure you were not saying everything...
    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how you feel. I have been there when I was burned and had grafting. Wheel chairs are fun when You get the hang of it . Thank God for mending bones, bodies and Family is so important. So happy your up and around and on the mend . Get ready for Autumn since its right around the corner from you.
    Have a lovely day . So happy you stopped by.
    Love and Hugs to LB xoxox.

    ReplyDelete