Tuesday, December 6, 2011

And then, There's This To Consider.

Far as I know, I don't look to be or appear or act to be hard of hearing nor am I slow of mind.  I'm almost sure none of those adjective apply (but then, maybe close friends would tell me if those adjective did apply).

Then, I will also tell you that I don't look as though I am standing by my to-be grave site with one foot on the proverbial banana peel.  I am not limping, stammering, stooped, whatever.  So why did the salesperson speak very loudly and very slowly to me this morning  as if to a pre-kindergartner while ringing up my purchase?  This was at Penney's.  That-- and to put the cherry on top, she called me "Sweetie" probably at least 15 times in a few minutes.  Plus, as an added treat, she said there was a rebate form that came out with the sales slip.  I murmured that I thought that was rather strange..as they'd not done that before to my knowledge....whereupon she said " Hey, I just print 'em!"

I wanted to climb over the counter and cuff her one for being so sickeningly condescending but that smart remark was about all I was wanting to subject myself to.

No..I didn't cuff her one, nor did I return remarks or bad comments to her.  I just took my purchase and left.

The reason I made that comment in the beginning of my blog about appearance is:  older folks have many many times written about being discriminated against by sales clerks, and any other place where they have to deal with people in either a professional, medical or a sales atmosphere.  I have not seen it until today.  There were two very much older ladies ahead of me who got the condescending treatment from the clerk..I guess she was still in that swing of things when I bellied up to the bar.

Just thought I would complain here.  You blog family are used to me by now.  :-)))

12 comments:

  1. How disturbing! Do you think she treats ALL customers that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The store should really do a better job of training the help. Being nice and polite and helpful is all that is really necessary. Glad your tolerance and patience is part of your charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Twin, you said it just like it is. Every one of the doctors I have seen in the last few weeks have been condescending and treated me as if I were an infant. I have called honey and young lady 100 or more times. The one thing they don't do is to speak in a clear voice taking the time to explain procedures to me. Only one doctor did that and I give him high marks for that.
    Twin, I know how you look and I know that you cold pass for 15 or 20 years younger than you are.
    I suspect the clerk was in her be nice mode and heaven knows she will need it to get through the season.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could correct my previous post but that is too much trouble. Just correct my mistakes as you are reading.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beth I make mistakes all the time, so I always correct other peoples mistakes as I read and just keep on reading.

    Carole, so far I have not had the pleasure of the condescending sales clerk or Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that sounds like someone could have used a well placed punch in the snoot to remind them just how agile you are however it would have placed a risk on your wrist so I'm glad to hear that you let them live! I know that you must be getting something very special under your tree from Santa this year seeing as how you've displayed such restraint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How annoying! You should've asked if she was hard of hearing because you're definitely not ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, where better to get things off your chest than on your personal blog. I haven't run into that yet, but probably will at some point. Some clerks these days are just plain rude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe if you'd leapt over the counter and cuffed her, she would have realised! Being someone whose twenty year old body is encased in eighty year old skin (well not exactly true, but you get the drift) it is getting increasingly difficult to even be noticed by young people who serve me in shops, let alone be subject to their condescension! And I'm not exactly a dwarf, so it must be they are preprogrammed to blank people over forty. Well that's my theory. I can't really remember that far back to say for sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've run into her kind. Clearly she doesn't respect her customers no matter what their age. Feel free to rant any time you want. It's your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I guess it was a good thing I stopped shopping at Penny's several years ago. I don't miss it either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos to you for holding back! Someday she will run into someone who won't and wouldn't it be fun to be there when that happpens. I bet you were tempted to say "I'm not your sweetie", I know it would tempt me.

    ReplyDelete