Thursday, December 1, 2011

Charlotte NC and the Dead Sea Scrolls

This header picture was taken in Charlotte, NC as I was standing on the top floor of a 10 floor parking garage uptown.  I think that's the Hearst Bldg.  Any Charlotteans who happen to see this will correct me I hope, if I am wrong.  I still love Charlotte and if I wouldn't have to start over, I'd move there.  There is any cultural thing you could ever want or hope for available in the City.  The Charlotte Symphony Orchestra is world class (no, really!) and their Discovery Museum, to name just one is awesome.  That is where the Dead Sea Scrolls were on loan from Israel for a little while.  One of the most awe inspiring things I have ever seen in my life or ever will see.  There were a few other places in this Country they were allowed to go and that was it.

No, not reproductions of the Scrolls..the real thing.  I blogged about it on Spaces back when I went to see them.  The lighting was very very dim..just enough to see your way around and the displays of the scrolls were dark except for a 5 second interval when they were lit better.  The light faded after that five seconds and you had to wait there for another interval of light until you were finished looking at that particular one.  It was the same all the way through.  Light would hurt the scrolls so light was very carefully controlled.  The import of these and the sheer majesty of what I was seeing just almost literally took my breath away as there were times I noticed I was breathing very shallowly..just transported by the vision of history we rarely get to see.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/dead-sea-scrolls-go-on-exhibition-in-u-s-1.395128

I'm hoping that all is well in your homes and Chip, if you see this..I don't know how to see or comment on your Google + blog.  I don't want to start one there..not sure what to do to comment those who are.

See you later..gotta get ready for the day.  XO

10 comments:

  1. Would have loved to see those. Museums are some of the best placed to visit. So much to history and to learn, you never have enough time to take it all in.

    You and the Admiral have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the Queen City being a wonderful place to visit but I'm too fond of small town life to ever live in a city again.

    BTW: I just sent you a Google+ invitation and have you added to 2 of my circles. Clicking on "accept" should allow you to post comments....I think. I'm really not up to speed on G+ as much as I should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing to see!

    xoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when you wrote about them. In fact, after I read it I searched and found them quite interesting. Charlotte seems like it would be a wonderful place to live. I love the name Charlotte...because that is my mother's name!
    Have a good day gf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I studied in Jerusalem for a while and was able to see the Isaiah scroll in the Shrine of the Book. The manuscripts are so delicate as you say, and they are not on display all the time. Quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see them, doubt I'll ever be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a thrill it must have been to see the scrolls. So old and so full of history. Amazing that they are still around and able to be enjoyed. I'm trying to think if I've ever been to Charlotte. Looks like a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your header photos are fantastic, The other day
    I went to the city and I spot an unusual building
    then I try to take photos but not successful..
    So glad you spent time to seen the scrolls.
    Big Hugs,
    xoxoxo Sis,Miyuki, Miss Catt, Victoria.
    Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Carole, what would I do without you? I was born in Charlotte but know very little of it today. I haven't been there since I was seventeen...yeah, it's been a while but I'm still a Tar Heel right? I'm very blessed to live in a city that's not so big it has the trouble of bigger places yet all the comforts you could hope for...I figure that's where I'll always live though I hope to see everything I can when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those wonderful things that a city can have. I do miss that. Just love your header. I am being a hermit here at home. There has been a break in the snow for a while. It came so fast for a week I thought it would never end. Now enjoying those winter moments I have looked forward to. Walks in the snow, doing my yoga everyday now and just reading a magazine. I know it won't last so I figured I would really enjoy it while I can. When the snow comes again it will be crazy trying to keep everything cleared again. So glad to see you are doing so much better and getting back to normal life again.

    ReplyDelete