Wednesday, April 4, 2012

G-R-O-A-N

Oh whoa nelly.  It HAD to be done so I went out and did it.  What?  Weeding.  Those weeds were just choking the flower beds running along the front of the house.

I went out to eat with my colleagues and when I got home..it was just about high noon. I saw the weeds and just came in the house..made a tiny pony tail (shorter hair now) and tied a bandanna around my forehead (it was VERY sunny and hot) put on knee pads and headed out with my tall kitchen garbage can, the garden fork and my leather gloves.  Oh. my. goodness.  I pulled weeds till I really did cause my broken wrist that has healed of course, to protest.  I decided to use my right arm the way I would have had I not broken it.  It's a little swollen and hurts a bit but hey, it has to cope.  I worked out there for over an hour and gave up after emptying that can two times.  I will do the upper flower bed (oh, my back) in a few days. It is choked fully with weeds. I spread the Preen and it worked last year so it will work again.

I went to the garden section of a store late in the afternoon and bought a tomato plant and a sweet red bell pepper plant as well.  Just one each..container planting again.  It has been VERY successful for me for several years now.  Tomato is in the dirt but I ran out of soil and will have to go get some tomorrow for the pepper.  I was supposed to work out today but I will assume the weeding about fulfilled the obligation.

Whew.  Back is stiff but otherwise OK.  My knees suffered a lot  despite the knee pads as they were so gravely injured last June.  They have not fully recovered.  I went out taking photos day before yesterday and kneeling around on the ground and getting up so many times did a bad number on my knees.  I will have to find something to help me up so I don't have to use my left knee (worst one) as a push-up help.  Other knee is almost as bad so really, I need to guard both.  Hard to get on the ground and take photos when your knees are messed up.  :-(

XO


18 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun!! (tongue in cheek because it isn't!) I can sympathise with you. (Mario's mom here).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will find the more you use your knees and do garden work you will get stronger. I know it's working for me just can't get in the garden often enough until it gets warmer out. We are getting another Snow storm tonight. I hope you get stronger but don't do too much, all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't overdo Twin. Take care of your back and knees.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horst said snow? Yikes! I agree with Beth don't overdo. I like my weed poker thingy where I drive it down to the roots and pull out the whole weed plant. Although I make divets and try to cover them ;-) Love your photo of your kitty above. I know you will have success on your deck garden. You have a green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would it help if you got a very low stool and sat on it while you weed? Make sure don't strain your back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I guess I'm lucky to have a 16 ft x 18 ft "yard" with mostly perennials and ground cover. Doesn't require much maintenance! Hope you had a long, hot soak in the tub afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are still way too early for weeds up here. Good for you for a job well done.
    Might this item help you out with your knees? You can push yourself up with the bars at the sides. Might be a stretch to take it along doing photography, but maybe not.
    http://www.improvementscatalog.com/garden-kneeler-2fsitter/12927?listIndex=0

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, your working too hard. LOL. I know, someone has to do it. Glad your not trying to do it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah the pains of a true gardener...my sympathies there Carole. We still can't safely plant what we have in mind yet. It's 47 degrees at the moment with nasty weather through the weekend. My guess is we won't be planting much until May.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with Twin..take it a little at a time and don't hurt the healing parts of you. Here you are getting tomato plants and we are in a freeze warning..I don't think we will be putting much of anything in the ground for awhile. Have a wonderful Easter holiday.. Love the picture of Katie..so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy gardening. Even weeding. I sit down on my butt so I don't have to bend over or crunch my knees. We can't garden too much here yet. (I live about 250 miles east of Horst in Edmonton). We still have snow and cold. I'm looking forward to warmer temps and garden work.

    Thanks for stopping by. And thank you for your comment. It really encouraged me. Bless you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hope you're feeling a little less pain, Carole. Once damaged, joints seem to resist fully returning to normal - even with PT and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree about not overdoing it. Hope you are feeling better! Our tomato seedlings are doing well. Most of the tomatoes we plant are heirloom varieties grown from seed. We did buy one "patio tomato" plant this year. We grow sweet peppers from seed. Most of our seedlings started from sweet peppers we had years ago. We save seeds from each year's crop. This year we also planted seeds from some mini-peppers we liked and from an especially good sweet pepper from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes. Maybe you should do a little at a time (I know the temptation is to do as much as possible all at once, but it sounds like that's not working so well). And maybe you can use a low stool to sit on while you weed, instead of kneeling?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cant wait to see the soil and get out there in my yard with my cats and dog. Its been way too long.
    I enjoyed reading this and a bit Jealous. :) not really.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Easter to you and your little miss

    ReplyDelete
  17. Taking care of weeds is a hard work! I used to cut weeds when I was a child to help parents. I hope your knees recover fully so that you can kneel and get up more easily when taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete