Thursday, April 19, 2012

Little Things

It's interesting how a little hitch in yer gitalong can cause problems.

As an example, yesterday some time in the day I unknowingly muted my cell phone.  I found that out late last night when I tried to make a call on it.  Well, I could not hear the ringing but I saw that it WAS ringing when I looked at the screen.  Hm.  Back to square one.  I mashed buttons, I looked at it with fire in my eyes and I found that none of that helped me a bit!  The phone was still silent.  I went to the manual and there was NOTHING I could find in there about mute and un-mute!  Not a thing.  I went to Google with the question how do I un-mute the Samsung Intensity 11 phone.  NOTHING!  I went to their website. Their contact section was OK to use but a message came up and said it was too busy.  SO, I looked at the other options (I didn't want to call the 800 number and get an overseas person whom I would likely not understand) and found I could ask thru Twitter of all things!  I did, and within 20 minutes I had a suggestion from them as to what to do. It suggested I take out the battery for a few minutes and voila!  That worked.

I can't get over how hard it is to get instructions for things..simple things.  If they can tell you how to turn on the phone in the little tiny manual they pack with the phone, for pete sakes go ON with it and tell a fella what else they might run into.  Why keep it a mystery?

I was very happy with the Twitter results.  I was given an opportunity to fill out a brief survey as to what I  thought and I was happy to do so.  It's a super idea using that media to help the customer.

Just sayin'.




12 comments:

  1. I too wonder why the instructions are printed in such small letters and why they are not thorough. Glad you got help.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I so agree! You can find out how to build a nuclear submarine on Google, but can you find out where the hash key is on a Mac? Nope!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy's "mom" here:
    I couldn't agree more! When I got my new camera, it didn't even come with an instruction book, just a 4 page "quick start" guide. It comes with a disc that includes the instruction book. So you have to either print out all 168 pages, or keep firing up the computer and searching for correct page in the manual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy Mom..I seriously HATE when that happens and boy =do I ever know how THAT is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing gets easier. Remember computers were supposed to cut back on paper. That was a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good ole Twitter to the rescue. It really does come in handy many times. I get so fed up with manuals that come with anything new. They are not written in an easy-to-understand manner at all. It gets so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is frustration of the worst kind. I had the same with my camera Daisy Mom had. I have it on the computer but would have like a manual instead so as not to take up space here. Glad you finally got help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sis,
    I have no understand my self but only time remember computers
    could there be a problem with the computer.
    xoxox
    Carole,Katie,
    michiko

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say that I am miserable with cellphones...I still don't even have one and as close as I get to that is my i-Touch. I know I usually have had good success with looking up problems I'm having on-line but there are those times when even that doesn't work. So much these days is done on-line...I guess we'd better pray that the system never fails or we'd be in real trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you were able to solve the problem! That being said, we avoid Twitter and Facebook like the plague! :-) We also have as basic a cell phone as we could get. It does take bad photos, but we don't use it as a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're on Twitter!!?? Cool!! :o)
    http://twitter.com/#!/MyThoughts4Sure

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't need instruction manuals for gadgets, I'm perfectly capable of screwing things up without printed help, thank you!! Bwahahaha! Cell phones... I had to fetch a kid of 13 to help me set my new iphone up. Seriously! Kid got $20 out of me too all while laughing at the fact that I didn't know what the heck to do with it!! :)
    Glad you got it working....

    ReplyDelete