Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Good Grief!

Man alive...if it isn't one thing it's another.

My camera lens broke.  It did that on its own as I have never jostled it or dropped it and it is always protected.  Upped and died on me.  I can't afford a new one at close to $800.00 + so I am having this one repaired.  But I won't see it again for a good 3+ weeks.  MAJOR bummer.  Last year I was banged up terribly and broken and swollen so that I could not hold anything till after rehab in mid October.  Guess what?  All my summer and Fall colors flowers and landscapes never happened.  I was so looking forward to this years attempts and the lens dies.  Then..today I bought and paid for a new heat and air system. Sigh.  the old guy was close to death..and it had freon which was leaking all the time and had to be refilled..topped off. The heating part of the unit died on me three times in the worst of the cold of course.

But here is something nice.  The installers  today saw a bad thing had happened.  The previous installer had the unit butted up against the house's side and consequently they cut away my siding before they slid it onto the house's side.  They never should have done that thing of putting the unit right onto the house  but I did not know it at the time. What happened was condensation/vapors got into the cedar shakes that still cover the house (with vinyl siding on top of them) in that particular area and rotted some of them.  Now I have to be concerned for mold- but not too greatly.

  While my workman was under the house in the crawl space inspecting the venting etc.,  he saw my spare vinyl that was stored there and rather than asking me, he intuited that indeed I would like it put on the bare place of my home.  He went above his "call of duty" and installed it on the house and covered up the place that was bare. It was most kind of him to do that. Way past kind.

The new unit, oh it's a beauty and it is about a foot or so away from the house with an aluminum or metal at least, surround covering all exposed area.

Too, I needed a new ceiling fan in my room.  Yesterday I bought it and had it ready.  The electrician got here and put the fan together, then took the old one down.  He discovered and showed me that it was unsafe having a fan there as the electrical box did not settle firmly into place and never had.  He showed me the wiggle and said the weight was largely being distributed onto the sheet rock.  Not good.  He did warm me about cracks IF they formed and what would happen.  I  was so disappointed to no longer have my fan but common sense had me opting to get a ceiling light fixture instead and so he went with me to Home Depot to choose and buy one.  He had already gone out to get a new box.  So that was 2 trips. He installed the light fixture and when I asked what I owed him after 2 1/2 hrs. He said $35.00.  This is a licensed bonded insured electrical inspector type electrician! I said "Benny, you have to charge more!" but he said "$35.00" again.  He said it wasn't my fault as he put it, that the fan couldn't be installed.  But still...$35.00.  What a kind and generous outright GIFT to me that was.  He's a fellow Christian.

So that has been my week.  My youngest son gifted little Katie Isabella with a fantastic tall cat tree which she LOVES! That was so generous when I was already prepared to pay that cost of course.  How loving and kind that was of him.

That has been my week.  Full of gremlins but equally full of loving kindness and the ability to pay for the big expense.  XOX

17 comments:

  1. You have had a rough week. It's a good thing a few good things happened or you'd really be bummed out. What great people your electrician and furnace/air installer are. They did go way above and beyond the call of duty,

    ReplyDelete
  2. The week has been rough for you!! I'm sure Katie Isabella will help/purr your way thru it---or at least look at you from her new tree. :) My human wants a new heat/air thing--I kinda wonder why she just doesn't go to Wal-mart and get one... :)

    Noir

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate it that your lens is having to be repaired!! but then good things have happened to you this week and that helps to make up for the lens.
    Hang tough twin! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so glad about the nice and kind things that your workmen did to help offset the disappointment about your lens. What type of camera is it you have? I wonder if the repair people could give you a "loaner" lens, similar to getting a loaner car while yours is repaired. Long shot, but I guess worth asking. Even if it isn't the same lens, at least SOME lens that would work with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole, what fantastic people you have in that town of yours. Did you decide against that Nikon V1 camera? It's good that you can repair that lens of yours. I hope you have a great week and not have these surprises crop up any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too have a rough week turn into wonderful gestures by the people hired to install the things you needed sure takes a bit of sting out it. Wonderful people they are.

    Do you agree with the DWTS reults so far?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it's been a bit of an up and down week!! When people do kind deeds makes you feel good though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've kept busy it sounds like, I'm glad that you've had some very good experiences but remain sad about the deal with your camera lens. I told you that Lovely had one of hers just die on her for no reason too. She had to send it in and finally got it back...what a process! The weather has been really taking my breath away lately...it beckons me to go out and I just love that! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very glad the repair experiences were basically good. That must have been a relief. Very unfortunate about the camera, though. I literally wore out the Miranda Sensorex SLR I had bought in 1968. In 1983 I had it cleaned & repaired, but it still didn't work right. So, to the Navy Exchange for a new camera, some model of Yashica. It was very disappointing and I only used it a few times. During my 1987 and 1990 trips to Tokyo (from the States), I used disposable cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sis!
    Your youngest son gifted little Katic with a fantastic tall cat tree which she loves how loving and kind that was of him.
    Full gremlins but equally full of loving and the ability to for the big expense.
    You will can do what you like repair for your way....
    xoxoxox
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  11. They say that bad things come in 3's. What they don't say is that the trouble is often tempered by great acts of kindness and compassion. While an expensive week, it was also full of priceless lessons. Hugs and skritches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sis!
    I was write about little Katic with loves for him..
    sorry with be back ...
    xoxoxo
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful week...it is really kind and generous of the workman! Always great to experience such kindness and to just hear about it :-) And it's truly wonderful of your son to get the lovely present for Katie san!!
    I hope the camera lens will be fixed and come back to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always nice to hear about tradesmen going out of their way to help out a customer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry bout all your troubles Sis.. at least you have help who you can rely upon. How wonderful they are too. Very hot here, no A/c..another hot day and night before it cools off. Sorry about your lens. Hope it gets repaired sooner than you think. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You had alot going on there Carole. I am thinking that when we have pain it is a red flag telling us something is wrong and needs attention. Maybe some of those things that are troubles are actually blessings in disguise. Maybe some of those things were raising redflags uncovering safety hazards. It is good that you had good reliable workmen to correct and fix the problems, and not charge you an arm and a leg. Hopefully now things will settle down for you. Again I am sorry things have been so hectic for you. No fun at all.

    Hey, concerning your lens. I hope it was still under warranty and it may not cost you anything to get it fixed. That is a real bummer for sure. Hope you get it back sooner than later. I am curious to know what kind and make of lens it was.

    Well you take care and hope the rest of your week is good.
    ox Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete