Sunday, May 27, 2012

One of my Favorite

Memorial Day or Decoration Day is one of my favorite times of the year.  I am by myself on these holidays as the children are of course, grown and gone so it's not that I am making a big hoopla here, but I am quietly enjoying the meaning and history of the day.  My biggest favorite holiday outside of Christmas of course is the 4th of July.  I look forward to that with anticipation every year.  If I'm fortunate, someone is here and I can fire up the grill.  But aside from that, it is purely the history of that day that captures me and makes me so happy.  I am very patriotic.

Me and the 50mm lens are still going round and round but I manage a few pictures here and there.  I am so used to the long lens that this seems like a pain in the neck since I have to LEARN something again.  The other lens may be back from repair in 3 to 4 weeks.

The horribly expensive new heat and air system is SO much BETTER than the old 15 year old one that was replaced.  Man, I never knew what good circulation  of air was until this unit was installed.  I love the programmable thermostat too.  Just set it as they say, and forget it.  (unless you change your wee mind).

Oh..I bought something I thought the youngest could use (I was wrong it turns out..very wrong) and took it all the way out there where he lives as a surprise.  Well, word to the wise.  Never drink 17 oz. of water right before you leave especially if you have shopped for a not-needed surprise and several other things.  The time involved to rid oneself of the water is legion.  The trip was a bust.  He didn't need what I bought and I was wishing I were home for a minute.  So all that for nothing but, stuff happens.

Here is a photo I took on the way back from that fruitless little trip.  It is taken with the 50mm.  Please biggafy.






12 comments:

  1. I say WOW!! You did a fine job with the 50mm. The photo is gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis,
    You are very good mum and I love you very much too!!
    it going to be writing back tonight.
    xoxox
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful picture!

    Sorry your trip to deliver a needed item didn't turn out as you had thought. Adult "children" are hard to predict sometimes.

    I hope you had a good week-end for celebrating that birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprising a grown child with a gift can, at times. be a bust. But you get an A for effort in my book. Your intentions were good and hopefully he agrees! Your flower is gorgeous - absolutely beautiful. Cool butterfly also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo, Carole. You did an awesome job on it. Also I think your son really appreciated your effort for the surprises gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite lenses was a 35mmX110mm. I had the wide angle and the short telephoto for nice feature modeling.

    Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We often have quiet holidays too and I see nothing wrong with that at all. Sadly it's horrible weather here at the moment but I'm grateful that we have what we have because of those that have fought and paid a tremendous price for freedom. Have a great Memorial Day Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear that your trip was for naught. 17 ounces of water?!?! Oy! I won't drink one of my NA beers after 3 pm even if we are staying home! Great photo! I haven't had to worry about different lenses since the days of my film SLRs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sis,
    Good morning!
    Happy birthday to Nell today,
    Gypsy will to drive for me this morning.
    We will go to the lakeside and enjoy the water,AND we can see the University rowing team team to as they row the water in their sculls.
    You are tell me about today for last night that way I love to thinking about too.
    xoxoxo Sis,Katie,Miyuki,Victoria,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking there's a very strong chance that we may be "neighbors" of sorts. That would be exciting!:)
    I hope you are enjoying your Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, KT is correct, actually HV. We often come to OR for various reasons! We like the RL there rather than the one in KT.:)

      Delete
  11. Hi Sis,
    What happen to me..I don't understand?
    please tell me sorry....

    ReplyDelete