Sunday, July 22, 2012

Things I'm Suddenly Tired Of

That title is a phrase that was coined by the former owner and editor of our local newspaper.  It was the title of an editorial he made probably four times a year.  It was a collection of tired phrases or words that were over used terribly and he was sick of hearing them.  I feel the same way about some of them and I'm afraid I am about to do a rant about them.

Fortunately for my unwary friends, I can only think of a few just now but please..allow me to mention them.

The first thing that makes me want to stuff a sock in the mouth of any announcer, TV personality, the usual parade of so-called celebrities who stink up the airwaves each day...even strangers standing in line next to you talking on their phones etc. is hearing that SO over used phrase "at the end of the day." S-T-O-P!  Q-U-I-T!!  CEASE!

Then there is the incessant over use of the phrase "Good Morning to you!" on ABC's morning, evening and in between shows.  Here we are perhaps with some awful happening somewhere in the world and even that "coverage" starts with a perky sprightly " Good MORNING to you------" (whomever you are) and of course, the requisite wait while the reporter out in the field or sitting across from them replies with an equally sprightly and smarmy " Good MORNING!"  STOP!  Don't keep saying that!  Get over it.  Get on with the so-called news. Quit with the puerile fake greetings. (I don't watch ABC news any longer.  Not balanced at all in reporting.)

Then there is the word "fail" Find another word, will you TV folks?  "Epic Fail" is even more tiresome after hearing  or reading it in dozens of ways each day.  Find another way to describe something not done.  Look for synonyms.  Get a thesaurus!  Find another word for "fail". Please.

Lastly there is the wanna-be word "physicality" on the sports channels or sports portions of your newscast.  Um...physicality?  How did that become a word in the dictionary  as it actually is, or perhaps in an etymology book? But..no one died and made me Queen after all.   Instead, can you say someone is in good shape..excellent shape perhaps and able to perform physical game maneuvers well instead, O sportscasters? Please stop over-using that word.

Just griping.  My blog, my gripe.  :-)




24 comments:

  1. he he - It's funny what strikes us or upsets us when we hear it. You are entitled! Like you said, your blog, your rant. I guess I've never been that aware of those particular phrases, but you can bet I'll hear them now. he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never watch the morning news or any sports channels unless my beloved Cardinals are playing. However, I think you made a mighty fine rant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's pet peeve is the evening news with Brian Williams when the least thing is spoken about with such drama you would think ti was a severe world crisis. She doesn't need her blood pressure elevated that much.
    Gave up the morning shows after Ann Curry got pushed off the Today show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure agree about Ann Curry. That stunk! Ad they way they did it really reeked!

      Delete
  4. "I don't watch ABC news any longer. Not balanced at all in reporting."

    What network is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None. I should have included that fact in my rant.

      Delete
  5. or the weather guys saying "the temperature tonight will be dropping down to __" Duh!! Doesn't gravity not work on your planet??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good one. I love " the temperature is coming in at ----" It's a big landing I guess and everything is "a little bit", That phrase "a little bit" is used 50 times a forecast..not kidding. Where's my slingshot and a good sized stone when I need it to kill the TV? No wonder I have it off 95% of the time.

      Delete
  6. You know what bugs my Mommeh? When someone says "Shut up!" in response to hearing some surprising news.

    By the way, we're with Simba, I loved Ann Curry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "shut up" thing just kills me!

      Delete
  7. I seldom watch the news, esp. ABC. I prefer Fox, if any and then it doesn't hold my attention long. I prefer a good comedy, mostly the new ME TV. And my pet peeve on any is canned laughter. Daisy reminded me of the phrase "shut the door" when mentioning "shut up",all so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you remember "at this point in time", which baecame ridiculously over-used during Watergate. We do watch ABC, as the least bad of a rather lame lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. or at this moment in time!!
    whatever
    segue
    genre
    or when the weatherman says “there will be something in the way of showers coming across the country” !!!??? What? What is the something that’s in the way of showers?? Drives me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we're lucky in this area, but I haven't noticed that line from weather reporters around here. I must say though, that for some weeks there seemed to be "something in the way of showers" that kept them from getting to us!

      Delete
    2. we sure have had our share here for 15 days in a row. whew.

      Delete
  10. There's a phrase that the local weather man uses that bugs me but do you think I can think of it now? Nope! :) I don't like the phrase "have a good one". Have a good what? Fall on my butt? Pizza? Laugh? What am I supposed to have a good one of? Oh, I remember the weather man's saying - it's "come Sunday" or whatever day as in "the rain will be here come Sunday". I don't know why but that irritates me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard "have a good one" used by all sorts of people in all sorts of ways, so that it has no more real meaning than "Have a nice day", which has become inflated to "Have a great day". What is next, "Have an org...ummm, Have a stupendous day!!!"? Speaking of that sort of phrase, it seems to me that an automatic "Thank you for your service" has become "Have a nice day" for veterans.

      Delete
  11. Hi Sis,
    I don't do much from two days that I went play the our golf for 9-00AM-2-00AM in this after noon and no rain for all days.
    I will read the news paper.
    Be back talk to you.
    xoxoxox
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki,victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just watching the news channels raised my blood pressure. There isn't a one that is worth watching, to my way of thinking, but hubby puts it on and I suffer. Matt on the Today show was my least favorite on the show. I don't know what it is, but he just makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning to you! I hope the day wasn't an epic fail! Just pulling your leg Carole...hope there isn't a need for that wanted poster you put up on your more recent post...you shouldn't kill me...people would talk! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My bugaboo is "Just sayn'." It is superfluous and annoying.

    I neither watch nor listen to the news anymore. No one knows how to write. No one bothers to investigate. It has become an echo chamber of rumor, opinion, and innuendo.

    ReplyDelete