Friday, August 17, 2012

Chicken tonight!!

I am almost finished cooking the so-called Spanish chicken for tonight's supper when the oldest is here.
The addition of the crushed red pepper...Oooo so GOOD! It's simmering and I should go check the meat thermometer and see if it's done.  Scuse me..be right back.  Not quite ready yet although I think I may take one of the breasts out and cut it to see if there is any pink left.

This is a new recipe for me so I hope that it's enjoyable to my boy as well as to me.  It has made the house smell heavenly.

You know, the value of cooking for oneself is more noticeable these days.  I got about 7 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless on sale for $1.98 a pound.  I took them home, wrapped them up separately for my own use since one is more than enough for me.   I grew the bell pepper, the onions didn't cost too much, the spices were on hand and the diced tomatoes could have been my own but I chose to buy a can of them.  Not much money there.  The chicken broth was cheap.  I bought the house brand.  The flour cost is negligible at 1/4 a cup for this recipe and it was on hand.  By the time all is said and done, I would have had to pay a minimum of $10.99 maybe for this meal if I ordered it in a restaurant.  Since my oldest is here, that would be times two.  So, $22.00 + tip and tax...I saved a bundle by making some effort.

Here it is after the chicken was browned for a few minutes and removed so as to cook the peppers and onion, broth and seasoned flour, diced tomatoes and the hot pepper. Then you add the chicken back in, simmer till tender and cooked thru.  Much longer than the recipe said.  Fifteen minutes is unrealistic for uncooked chicken for pete sake.




That's the shadow of my head there on the stove.  :-)  To myself and son I say this gonna be good stuff.


9 comments:

  1. That sure looks good, it must be satisfying using some of what you've grown to compliment things as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy does that look yummy. Will be waiting to here if you like it, and so economical. Hope it's as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks yummy. If it tastes good too, post the recipe. I still make your rosemary chicken recipe almost every week, because it's so easy, fast and inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds yummy. Have fun with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, please share the recipe details. Mom's daughter got some hot papers through their CSA and needs a recipe to use them. Dad here loves anything with crushed red paper in it! And chicken dishes are always good options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious. I am sure your son will love it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, that do look good Carole. Guess I'll have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete