Friday, August 24, 2012

September is Coming, Oh Noes!

Here is my Stapelia in full bloom last year.  The star shaped flowers are the open ones.  The ball shaped ones are those yet to open.  I dread that happening each year.  Why?  Because it always blooms toward the end of September and the stench of the blossoms is legion!  OH how it stinks.  It smells like carrion and attracts flies so as to be pollinated.  I have seen the blossoms covered with flies the second they appear and they stay that way till the fall off.  Now this is when they are outside.  You may be wondering what my problem is.

I can't leave the plant outside past the end of September because the nights are too cold and it may die.  So I bring it along with the other few plants who Summer outside into the house for the Fall and Winter.  That means that horrible stench comes in with the plant.  The stink is into all of the rooms within a day.

One year I thought to outsmart the plant.  I broke off only the blossoms right where they attached and brought in the plant which promptly started to die.  I was horrified as this is all I have of my mother from when she died a long time ago. (She was relatively young..barely out of her 40's). So I call this "mother's cactus".  I was able to get ahold of an expert on-line and asked what to do.  He told me all I could do was root the "arms" properly and hope for the best.  So, I got a pot, some succulent mixture and laid the arms of the plant sideways in the soil, watered, and hoped.  Now I have a back-up plant..still small.  Apparently this thing grows slowly when it starts.  My "mother" plant survived after losing most of its arms and legs hanging down.  It started anew from a few inches left sticking up and now it's healthy.

BUT: I am going to have to see and smell it bloom again this year.  The smell is horrible.  I'm not kidding.  But it's mother's and all I have of her.


17 comments:

  1. Can you isolate the plant somewhere in the house, in its own room?

    Sometimes there are advantages to not being able to smell (in my case). LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No..can't. House is too small. and Katie has the run of all rooms and patrols every inch. No basement.

      Delete
  2. One of those cases where you have to take the bad (smell) with the good (saving the Mother's plant) I see. Sometimes we just have to 'grin and bear it'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sis,
    You will be okay for everything what you wanted for you Sis,
    Tonight I have with all my friends,I just come my home.
    I will be back to see you in the morning.
    xoxoxo
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Sis..that is one cactus I have never seen and glad now i haven't. My aunt has a large cactus garden in Ca.Out there they don't have to bring them in. Mom brought some sprouts here but they didn't do well. Hope it won't be too unbearable for you or Katie.Leaves are here on the ground already but not turned just brown from the drought. Going to be a strange fall I suspect. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's life, isn't it? We take the Bitter (the smell and flies) with the Sweet (living memory of your Mom). XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize that you get frost in Tennessee at the end of September. Your plant should be able to survive outside unless you get frost. I take the plants in only when frost is imminent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with this plant, but I certainly understand keeping it. Maybe we'll get to see photos of Miss Katie checking it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers on the cactus really are beautiful. It is a shame that it stinks so bad. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful plant, and we understand how you want to keep it healthy since it was your mom's. Pity about the smell, though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I have never seen such a strange plant before. You certainly do have a problem on your hands. Thank you for your advice on Wildflower. She has been eating small amounts everyday and seems very content and happy. Have wonderful weekend. Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, nothing quite like s stinky plant in the house. I give you a lot of credit for trying to keep it living. I don't suppose any of your son's would like the keep sake in honor of their grandmother! Too bad you can't de-scent it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning Sis!
    I had wonderful time slept well.
    You certainly do not need anyone to valance your existence or make you whole dream and aspiration you don't need some else for that.
    You can do what you like to these day.
    I must sent you my mail Sis.
    xoxoxo
    Sis.Katie.Miyuki.and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  13. That plant sounds like a mixed blessing. I understand your dilemma. My black thumb has been helped along by the dry weather here...I've got to come up with a better method when it comes to gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It time for 9:30 PM I just come back from my friend place.
    Are you felling better this morning?
    Only thinking about today was no more raining.
    I might going to shopping time or golfing for tomorrow....
    Good night Sis!
    xoxoxo
    Sis.Katie.and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sis.
    I has send my email for you today.
    Are you fell ok with Katie!
    Thinking about you
    Love you Sis.
    xoxoxo
    Sis,Katie.Miyuki and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, September, one of my favorite months as that is when football begins !!!!

    ReplyDelete