Saturday, October 6, 2012

First Cool Fall Weekend

Yesterday is was so warm the air conditioning finally came on early evening.  I was about to nudge it to do so.

Today, it never got over 58 degrees F as a high and it has been drizzling rain all day.  Cloudy, overcast but as I said on Face Book..it's a day and I am grateful to have it.

Mother's cactus, a Stapelia, is blooming.  Those of you who have been with me for years know how each year in September and October long about the time I have to bring the plants in, it blooms large extraordinary malodorous blooms.  The stench is gut wrenching and as I have said, they are always covered with green and black flies.  It smells like rotted meat.   It is all I have of my mother from when she died a million years ago.  So I can't get rid of it.  But the stench when it blooms is incredibly bad.  I will post a picture.  This time (I took it this morning) it mercifully only made 2 blooms where usually it makes 8.

Next to it on the left is a Christmas cactus.  Everyone goes outside in the Spring and come in before it gets really cold.  I am worried as it will be in the low 40's and they aren't used to being out in that much chill.  But bringing it in will mean the entire house filling with that wrenching stench those flowers make.   I tried cutting off the blooms only and it almost killed the entire plant. This was several years ago.  Since it truly is all I have of Mother's..I preserve it despite the horrible odor.

I got some extra sweet paw hugs from Katie this morning.  She climbed up onto my lap, faced me and raised her front legs up and placed her paws on either side of my mouth and kept them there.  Her face was just an inch or so from mine.  We stayed that way for minutes.  Very sweet.



Look at the lower left  of this next picture to see a piece of the roof line of the house next door to me and look at my trees.  Tall, aren't they?  That is my back yard as far down as you can see to the City line.  I am fronted by a city street but behind all of us on this street is what is called a privately owned (by all of we home owners), Green Belt.  It's a forest of oaks, hickory, maples, poplar and so on. HUGE trees and since we get tornadoes all of the time you can see why it worries me when the winds blow.

xox Have a great weekend.

21 comments:

  1. I think I might at least put that cactus on the downwind side of the property, LOL! ~ Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just dread having to bring it in till the blooms fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blooms are truly beautiful. It is a shame that they smell so bad.
    You really do have tall tall trees. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does have a pretty flower. That would have been a sweet photo of your little furry sweetheart. She has a loving heart like her sisfer, Angel Admiral.
    Kassey is now wanting to sleep on my tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a lot like a Rafflesia that grow in our jungles which happen to be the largest single flower in the world. I've never seen one nor smelt it (thankfully!) but read it smells really really awful...except to the flies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so envious of your green belt, Carole. Not of the stinky cacti. :-)

    Are the trees kept properly trimmed, though, by a professional? Would that not help?

    BTW, it's gone down to 5C overnight, whatever that is in degrees Farenheit. 40-ish, probably. Brrrr. Had to turn the heat on, getting up this AM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just an addendum here: The cost of having tree people here is prohibitive. I have had to have three trees removed..one rotted and the other two close to it and they are well over $1000.00 each to have cut down. Trimming isn't an option with them so exceedingly tall.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sis!
    I love to put a few comments that your photos because You presence it dispite the horrible odor. our all the time with Admiral thinking about with a special time ...
    Your trees are beautiful Sis!
    I love to coming to see you soon...
    xoxox
    Sis.Katie.Miyuki.and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had snow a couple of times since Wednesday...imagine that. A few select flowers were brought in but the rest will be done for another season. I enjoyed your pictures today Carole...I think our fall is done already...seems early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One is never really ready for the turning of the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a Christmas cactus from my mom. It's not all I have but she had a Christmas cactus for as long as I can remember. I do miss her muchly.

    We went from 80 degrees to the 50's in a day. Typical for the weather around here. If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen a plant like before in my life. I remember you posting on WLS a picture of it and I can't get how strange the flower is even.
    Those are some TALL trees gf. I can see why it would worry you in a storm.
    Have a super terrific day ok. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. that li'l stinker looks like something from the rafflesia clan, but they don't seem to be related (other than by odor!). but i can certainly understand wanting to hang onto it for sentimental reasons; moms are worth bearing the stenchy stuff for, especially since they hadda change our didies;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blooms are pretty (if not stinky).

    How sweet what Katie did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its interesting that cutting the blooms off almost killed the plant. There are other plants that have stinky flowers like that. The National Botanical Garden in DC has one that has 6 foot flowers that smell like rotting meat. I can understand you wanting to keep it in spite of the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sis!
    I was become some thing wrong for writing our Katie? Do you think about that do I missing her..I will be more with my time Sis!
    Next two days I will be write time.
    xoxox
    Sis.Katie.Miyuki.And Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  16. Humm ... wonder why it stinks like that? I wonder what it can hope to attract smelling like rotten meat! MOL

    Selina's sisfur, Livia, would probably love it. She LOVES stink of any kind: this is the cat that puts HER ENTIRE HEAD into my husband's shoes at the end of the day. If THAT doesn't tell you something about her ...

    Selina & MomKatt Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sis those large trees are very scary looking.. I mean you must be very frightened of storms that come your way. They could do major damage for sure. Lets hope that season is over for sure. Very cold up here 30's and hard freeze the other day. I fear winter is coming too darn fast up here. Hugs to you and Katie.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It got so cool all the sudden. I hope some more warm days will come.
    I have no idea why cutting off blooms almost killed the plant. It soubds very smelly but looks very pretty in the picture. These trees are so tall! I totally undersrand your worries when it gets windy. I hope these trees stay strong to stand any wind!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's interesting, I too have a 'mom plant'. Luckily it is an ivy and nearly impossible to kill. I have had it for 22 years, and all my siblings have cuttings from it.

    I have seen the plant that Oui Oui was talking about, it is both impressive and revolting, in the same breath! (or is that "in the same gag"?)

    I hope it makes it through this cold patch.
    dee

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love plants but have none. They all die on me, I guess that can only be expected when one forgets to water them day after day after day after day. Heck, the only time that I have a green thumb is after hitting the damn thing with a hammer. I get a green thumb, then it turns blue then to purple.

    ReplyDelete