Friday, October 19, 2012

Word to the Wise

Um, there is just no way to put this kindly other than not to say it at all.  Who, me?  I'll say it.  I always do.

I was issuing forth from the grocery store this morning and I saw a woman of "a certain age" walking toward me on her way in.  Looking at her as she approached and passed me I said to myself that women of that "certain age" should never wear painted on tights as their pants attire.  Tights and a tunic...shudder.   Not a go-together when you are 60+ regardless that you are not over weight.

Your skin is not firm any longer and the painted on tights simply announce that sad fact to everyone within sight of you.  It is simply a fact of life.

I for one always like to dress in a manner that is not consistent with 90 year olds.  (Not being 90 helps me a lot.   :-)  I detest those heavy knits, screen printed anythings or color blocking or large flower prints "they" seem to buy and stock in department stores for their older clientel.  I told my sons that when I myself go to the Rainbow Bridge, just have me "laid out" and  dressed in my skinny jeans and a black turtleneck top with my chunky silver hoop earrings and a sterling pendent.  High heeled boots too, in case I want to do some dancing over there on said Bridge.  But you will never find me in completely inappropriate attire as painted on tights and a tunic, tube tops, spaghetti strapped tops, high hems, buckles and zippers, ruffles, flounces and tiered dresses.  I have seen them all on old ladies within the past 8 months.

Regardless of what I am saying here about my thought of attire, I have to say that older women need not dress like a teen nor like a crone.  That is distasteful and sometimes scary.  :-) Nor am I advocating the Old lady- Old Man mode of dress...the stuff of cartoons.  Just look carefully in the mirror before you leave home , both sexes, and do so with eyes that are open and not averse to seeing oneself as one really appears.



 My name'll be mud probbaly for expressing the thoughts aabove.  xoxox


13 comments:

  1. A hearty Yes to all you observed and commented on! I tend to dress fairly conservatively now...think I wore my last leather miniskirt when I was 47, cuz I didn't want anyone to say..."I bet she was a looker once', hahameow! And I often think of Tina Turner and how her legs were her best asset and as she aged, she covered her arms in sheer sleeves, still sexy but leaving something to the imagination...That's the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (the Mom) know what you mean about the clothes the stores stock for 60+ people - the elastic waist pants and matching tops, etc. They give me the shivers. At least that is what I find in petite sizes. Wish there was something between the stuff intended for the 35 year olds and the 65 year olds. It is a void.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to having the same thoughts, but then I think, well, they're fine with how they look, so it's only me, being judgmental, who has a problem with it. LOL. And in the end, who cares what anyone else wears? As long as we feel good in our clothes....

    But I must tell you, that once, many years ago when I was young and working in Town & Country (long out of business) in Halifax, we had an elderly lady come in to check out the sales. It was summer and she was wearing a short-sleeved white blouse, quite see-through...and she was not wearing a bra. The assistant manager, who was cruel but funny, made an oblique comment, and I cracked up as I was trying to wait on this lady. Tried to pretend I was having a coughing fit and made a bee-line for the back, leaving both the manager and assistant manager to deal with her.

    BTW, I see a lot of YOUNG girls who are very overweight who also wear very tight clothing. And while I don't think it's flattering, that's only my opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! You say it girl! However, I have to say that twinset and pearls look quite good with a paisley skirt and sensible shoes!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mud (just teasing you) - I do know what you mean I have seen too many women try to look like a teeny boppers again and too many on the other side trying to look 90 instead of 70. What can't we just be our age and be ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear what I am comfortable in and it is not flowery tops or skinny tights. lol

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing elderly adults in miniskirts or speedos, etc, can be a bit gruesome. On the other hand, seeing them in baggy sweats or (practically) pajamas is no fun either. I've been wearing regular jeans or cotton twill tan "workclothes" for 30 years and I plan to stick with that for the next 30. ~ Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think your name is Mud at all. I am so glad you said all this just so I don't go out and buy some loud print to wear to the Walmart. My good old plain jeans and turtleneck or a short sleeve shirt of some kind. I don't like T-shirts. I have to wear loose shirts since I am missing a boob. LOL. So no tight clothes for me. But it is amazing what people wear.
    Hope all is good with you Carole. Is it time for a phone call?? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See now this is why I usually let my wife dress me, that way I avoid certain embarrassing situations that might arise should I be left to my own devices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, no Bermuda shorts and black socks with my sandals? By the way, I like the sound of your Bridge outfit. By then, I won't care of my jeans are skinny or not!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carole :)
    Thank you so much for the beautiful comment you left on my blog today. I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to post on my blog, let alone comment on other people's. As soon as I'm done with my final exams, I promise to make an effort to stop by and visit Katie - I'm so glad the two of you are getting along. It must have been difficult opening your heart to another cat after admiral's passing, but I'm sure she is waiting for you at the bridge...I'm sure she'll approve of the outfit you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boy, you said it girl. You wonder how people think they really look good that way. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree totally! This story reminded me of the day I took my granddaughter shopping for her birthday. She was trying on some clothes and I was sitting on the bench waiting for her. I love people watching and today was no different. Pretty soon along comes a young and very overweight girl and her husband. Looking at her I was thinking that she shouldn't be wearing those short shorts or that spaghetti strapped top that came midway up her torso letting it all hang out. She caught me looking at her and asked me why as she said she's noticed everyone starring at her since she walked in the store. Needless to say she caught me off guard so all I said was that I really liked her hair color (which I did) and wondered if she colored it. That seemed to appease her but I always wondered if I should have just come out and told her what I really thought. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete