Thursday, June 27, 2013

What fun! With answers to the comments now.

I had the pleasure of a l-o-n-g lunch at a local restaurant with a colleague of mine yesterday.  I haven't seen him to talk to in quite a while.  We did see one another in a grocery store months ago and spoke maybe ten minutes but this time we had hours.  Thoroughly enjoyable.

Besides being a colleague, he is a Russian translator.  We were talking (among so many other things) about the subtilties of language and how one must be careful when translating (in either direction! ) because of varying meanings to words, nuance, and word placement in the sentence.  I loved hearing some Russian (as an example for me in some instances) and I loved when he spoke English with a Russian accent.  His accent--  though he is American, sounded the same as any I have ever heard on television when dignitaries from Russia spoke English.  :-)

Our choice of topics to talk about were as varied as stones in a creek :-) There were conversations about our particular work that not anyone else would understand or have dealt with---a relief really to speak to those of us who understand and share(ed) the responsibilities etc etc.  And we spoke without concern about politics and religion.  Those with whom I meet once a month...circumstances allowing, are a very tightly knit family if you will.  These are colleagues who are either working or retired..a fair mix of both.  Only we fully understand one another because of our shared experience.    So, with all that said, I had a thoroughly enjoyable set of hours with my friend.

We had several days...as many as THREE! with sun and now as always, we are being "punished" with mostly rain.  This will go on for well over a week as it always does any more.  We have perhaps 10 days with sun in a month I would wager.  We only need 10 more inches of rain above what is normal and we will be 2 feet over normal.

I bought some new-to-me ice cream last weekend.  It still comes in a half gallon size.  It is so well worth the small extra amount of money that I will not buy any other brand again.  This ice cream is made like ice cream should and used to be made.  Milk, cream, sugar and whatever flavor (mine was "Vanilla Bean Vanilla" and it MELTS into watery looking ice cream melt!  Not the nasty foam-like disintergration of the full of additives...strange guars, gums and so on, frozen desserts called ice cream that are so available these days.  There is one gum, listed at the end.  I can take that as it doesn't interfer with the texture and quality of the ice cream.  I'll just tell you what kind it is.  I wasn't going to but it's a compliment to them so I will.  It's brand is called Blue Bell. Only available in 20 States I think, for now.  Lawsey me...what a treat.  From now on I will wait till one of the family is here long enough to help me eat it as I made a total hog of myself.  I'm closing in on finishing it!!!

PS I took the sunflower pic last summer up the street.











24 comments:

  1. This sounds like a most delightful time you had at lunch.

    I am always available to help someone eat ice cream.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I had another such great time today with another friend. xox

      Delete
  2. That picture is gorgeous! But then all of your pictures are gorgeous. I'm so happy you had such a delightful lunch. What a great way to spend a few hours - enjoying conversation with a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed and I am so grateful for the oppportunity.

      Delete
  3. It sure has been a rainy year. I, for one, am ready for some dry hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know who;s more pampered...... You or the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way with ice cream (and everything else, really). If you eat better, you might wind up eating less but the eating will be SO much more healthful and pleasant. And life is short. xxoo Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is..so let's crack open that half gallon and get started!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a very lovely lunch time! I do translation as part of my job, so I understand we should do translation carefully because of various meanings, nuance, etc. And I think it is really fun to talk about work with someone who share experience.
    I love ice cream with vanilla bean flavor. In fact I love most favors when it's ice cream :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what makes the U.S. different from any other country. We all, except for the native people who were here already, come from someplace else but we are all Americans. Just during the course of a normal day at work I hear many different accents, a lot of which come from students who are studying here. Though I was born here my roots are Italian but I am an American.

    Don't get me started on ice Cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wish you were more near. Would love to exchange thoughts and I know they would be polar opposites but could be done with humor. :-)

      Delete
  8. I envy you the wonderful lunches with good friends with whom you can speak freely. My circle of people to discuss things with over lunch has been shrinking gradually over the years. I finally had to give up on one "best friend" who goes back to college days (43 years ago) because he simply became too strange. It's sad, but it happens. I am going to have to find a common interest group to join, to find new friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too, the older we get, the more the liklihood of friends fading out or fading away and the more liklihood of them hearing a different drummer than how we remembered.

      Delete
  9. Friends that a person can be completely candid with are a rare treasure in my experience...especially when discussing politics. Our recent visit with family in Florida left me feeling blessed to have such treasures in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe..oh yes. Rare treasure is a wonderful way to state it. It is rare and something to be treasured. Miss you Bro. Hope all is well?

      Delete
  10. That ice cream sounds delish!!! It's great to have a chance to talk to different types of people. You can learn such a lot!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sis!
    What is one stated your pleasure lumch time you having the subtities of longvage..
    Will like o Japaness instances I will like to spoke with Japaness...You said THREE with sun!
    You sound like you like the quiet of the good day like I do.
    Imginetion and plotos and plans for the day.
    It is a greast time imaginatin for your days.
    Thinking about your bussy cat!Have a good time day Sis!
    xoxoxoxo
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki,and Victoria,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sis!
    What a lovely letter from you!
    I never thout from you this morning thank you Sis!
    As you know I has too much thinking about next 17 days.
    my treatment of four implants will finish off a day.
    I will like to more tolk about your son's ....
    xoxoxox
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki,and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis, I sent a reply to Andrew because your mail is not doing well tonight. Andrew said he would see that you got my email to you. xoxoxo

      Delete
  13. Love the sunflower, Carole, and love the description of the ice cream, (sounds yummy) even though we probably have no chance of getting any in the UK. I can just imagine your friends accent, trouble is I'd be concentrating just on the accent and not what that accent is saying. (I know, head in the clouds) You sound positively 'up' my friend, which is lovely to read/sense. hugs to you and li'l Kate. xPenx

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite is made in Michigan..strawberry cheesecake.. wow talk about taking me back to childhood. The ice cream maker you spoke of has some factory in INDIANA I think.. I haven't had theirs lastely. The only REAL ice cream is one you make yourself.. Yummy.. melts fast and tastes wonderful. I really enjoy it in the summer with all this heat. In a cone is my favorite...Glad you had a nice visit with your friend.. sounds absolutely fascinating. Take care and hope you get some sunshine soon that stays. :-)

    ReplyDelete