Monday, July 8, 2013

Oh What a Night!

Twenty hundred and thirteen! July 8th, matter of fact.  There I was sleeping the night away and "chirp".  A good loud one.  Just one.  A warning from the smoke detector.  I went back to sleep.   Twenty minutes later, another loud chirp.  OK.  0405.  So I got up, turned on the hall light, fetched the step ladder and climbed up to take the battery out.  Got back in bed.  Fell asleep luckily, and a more distant chirp happened to wake me!  WHAT?  Can the danged thing's alarm telling that it's battery is low sound even when the battery is OUT of it?  No of course not.  So it had to be the carbon monoxide detector telling me that it's battery was low too.

So, I got up again at 0448, switched on the hall light and unfolded the ladder, got up again and removed the cursed thing!  I took it's batteries out and went back to bed.  Took a bit to fall asleep and when I did..bad dream city!  I dreamed that I saw the cat get into some sort of bubblegum vending machine and couldn't get out.  I was upset about that as I was in a public building I had never seen before and I couldn't think where I was.  I kept thinking maybe a Federal Building. Can't imagine taking the cat anywhere except the vet so go figure!

There was a little boy about 8 years old with me.  I knew him but I am not sure in what capacity.  But he was with me and I was responsible for him.  I took out my cell phone to call for help and as I was looking at it preparing to dial, it rang, and someone from an EOC  called and kept calling me Officer Austin,   Officer Austin?  What?  Huh?  She thanked me for answering and said she would expect me at the Command Center shortly.  I looked at the boy and the cat and the cat had managed to turn around and was mostly squeezed out of the vending machine.  I segued into a large room somehow with a few people in it, and tried to ask where I was and for some help.  Then I noticed the little boy was missing from my presence as was the cat AND that I had left my purse on the floor back where they were as I was trying to get the cat out of the vending machine.  AND what's more, my passport was in it..about $180.00 as well as my credit cards.  I asked some guard or police officer, whichever, to help me.  I asked if all floors could be searched for the boy and my pocketbook and cat.  He disappeared to return and from a distance of perhaps 20 feet over a counter or something, threw me a doughnut frosted with sprinkles and something else that I have forgotten now,  to eat.  No progress if it even started, on the boy and my purse.

Thank goodness at 0630, Katie jumped up and pounded on my sides making biscuits.  I was GLAD to awaken.

These things seem so real while you are dreaming, don't they?

PS  That is an Aster.  I took that in 2011 at the arboretum.








15 comments:

  1. Crazy anxiety provoking dream!

    We had an ongoing quiet chirp here, finally discovered it was the "low battery" warning for the backup battery for our Verizon phone and internet - installed in the basement where the phone line came in. It was a big expensive battery. Hope it goes for a few more years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My burglar alarm transformer batter did that too some time ago, and it was a BIG deal trying to get it out and replaced!

      Delete
  2. What an awful night you had Twin. When I even think about losing my purse I get agitated. And the poor little boy. But at least they did give you a doughnut. What a dream. I hope this is a good day for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, my! What a night! Keep Miss Katie away from vending machines.:-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, gorgeous aster! Officer Austin? Maybe it'your new nom de plume? :). That IS quite an odd dream indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our fire alarm system is throughout the house and thus if one isn't working right the tell tale chirp lets you know no matter which is failing...it never happens at a convenient time does it? Why is it in many dreams we never have it together? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how far out there, but real, dreams can be. They can scare the daylights out of you or be delightful. Glad it was just dreams and nothing more serious with those alarms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hysterical., I couldn't make up this story if I tried. You should keep track of this one and put it in a book some day. ha ha - i'm laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dreams sure can be hilarious and confusing. This morning I was looking at the bathroom door wondering how on earth Marley had managed to squeeze under it (and why he bothered to since it was half open). Then I realized it had happened in a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! Sorry … but Officer Austin??? Dreams can be so weird though! This one is a doozy!

    PS Did Katie not hold the ladder? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa...what the heck did you have for dinner the night before?? Wild dreams... LoL..When some kind of thing chirps at me..boy I go to smelling everything in sight. One time it was a fire INSIDE a plug on the wall. Scary stuff.. you just never know anymore. Fire Dept wouldn't let me back in the house until an electrician came the next day. I had to find a place to stay overnight.Hope you have better nights to come with nothing but SWEET dreams from now on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a dream! PHEW!! Glad little missy woke you up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes what a night! Smoke detector can be very annoying when it chirps in the night.
    The dream must have made you feel tired. I have crazy dreams from time to time, but yes it seems so real while dreaming :-) Glad Katie san saved you from the dream! Hopefully you can sleep with good dream tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, the dream is bizarre and very detailed! Wow! A boy, a cat, a vending machine? Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a bit of an opposite situation in 2003. I was living in an apartment building. It was 2 days before Christmas. I was off and woke up and just walked into the living room heading towards the kitchen. All seemed normal until somebody pounded on my door and yelled fire! Though there were alarms e. everywhere nary a one was working. I opened my door and the corridor was thick with smoke. I smelled nothing in my apartment. I quickly put my work clothes back on. Fortunately I was a slob and left my clothes on the floor. I took a deep breath found the railing and groped my way down 3 flights and out into the parking lot. The fire was 2 floors below. Nobody was hurt. Sorry I wrote a blog instead of a comment.

    ReplyDelete