Saturday, August 24, 2013

JUST lovely! Not.

I almost greeted you saying "KITTIES"!  However I guess I am not helping Katie right now so I will resist!

I went to Wally World a few hours ago and got some groceries as my oldest will be here tomorrow for supper.  Meanwhile, I went thru Walmart's front doors and it so happened that I was just behind a family of both parents, a girl of perhaps 8 and two boys, possibly 10 and 11 or so.  First thing I saw as we all of us walked through the doorway was the girl do a high kick to kick her father's back end.  She missed.  Not to be discouraged she did it again, and in full view of her mother.  She connected that time and he turned and looked down to her.  He did not say a word but he didn't look pleased.

Then, I glanced at the girl specifically as I made my way to the grocery carts.  The two boys hurtled themselves to just behind where I was at the front of the carts (they were three carts back) and as I was getting my cart untangled from the one it was jammed into, those boys started bashing my cart hard to get it and me out of their way.  I said immediately in my well practiced mother's voice "YOU JUST WAIT A MINUTE!" Then their mother seemed to have overcome her paralysis and said something slightly sharply to them as I made me way on through the airlock doors into the store.  I never did see them through out the foray into the aisles.  If I had...while I  really would not have, I would have been tempted to crash my cart into theirs and say, "Oopsie!" Just pique on my part.  I would not have done such a thing.

It's just another indication how many families are ruled utterly by their kids.  I hear their opinions being asked about the choices all up and down aisles in any given grocery store.  And I see their declarations being obeyed.  They are treated as small adults to be obeyed.  Role reversal.

OK.  Done.  Thanks.  I needed that.



17 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! I see this kind of appalling behaviour almost every day.

    I'm at the age now where I always think, "Back in my day...." LOL. Trouble is that there's no disciple today. You don't have to abuse a child to discipline them, but these younger generations have gone too far in the other direction, IMO.

    Even basic manners are lacking. I see students, even university-age ones, sitting in the front courtesy seats of the buses every day, and most don't have the COURTESY to get up when an elderly person or one who obviously has a physical impairment, gets on the bus. I want snarl at these kids to get the h*ll up and move their lazy *sses, have some manners.

    Oops. Okay, I'm getting myself all worked up now. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't want to bruise their precious egos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I NEVER would have been allowed to behave like that. It would NOT have been tolerated. Simply obnoxious. I just don't get this supposed new age parenting or whatever it's supposed to be! I might have actually done the cart bashing thing, not just thought about it! You're a better person than i am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true!!I see it every time I am in a store. A sad commentary for parents and I do believe the day will come when they will wish they had taught their children better. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am relieved you didn't receive any injury in this encounter! Such abysmal parenting! Leaves no wondering what goes on at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are pushing against an open door here, Carole!! I couldn't agree more about the way kids are. It is the same here … maybe worse! It's totally the parents fault. We have become a child centred society and it does them no service at all! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly agree with you Carole and your readers. It's extremely bad behavior being tolerated by their parents. It's scary to think that this generation will someday become adults and be the future leaders of our country. Scary indeed. in the meantime, the rest of us has to put up with their extremely unruly, bad behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a sad commentary on how parents have just given up (or in) to the kids getting their way. It is hard not to say back when I was growing up..but I will. Back when I was growing up we had a respect for all types of authority, most importantly our parents. But you didn't sass Mother or Daddy. You.just.didn't. He didn't need to do anything just his attitude told you not to. It was all done non-verbally, because they never had to do anything corporal punishment to us. We just obeyed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can certainly relate to what you can see in a large store and I certainly know what would have happened to me if I pulled that kicking stunt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unbelievable. My daughter is often complimented on how well behaved her children are in the stores, etc. The thing of it is that they are just normal kids but have been taught to be polite and they have manners- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not agree more. Society has gotten so afraid of "hurting" the kids, when in fact we are hurting them by allowing this. They do what they want, because parents are afraid of arrest. Kids hurt their parents, teachers, etc. with no respect for authority. They also hurt each oth and themselves. There are no boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. McGuffy Ann is right Parents now are almost AFRAID to discipline their children for fear of what might happen. It sucks but that's how things are. In the old days that kicking incident would NEVER EVER have happened. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't understand it. You also see where they can get this from TV and movies, too, where they have been making the adults out to be the fools for many years. I do not understand it. Sad commentary on our society.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good rant, Carole. Sadly, we see it all the time here, too. I tell you, I don't think I'd be alive today had I tried any of the things you described in your post...

    ReplyDelete
  15. How awful society today is way different to the waywe were brought up. Sorry to say. Glad you turned out un-hurt could have been very nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The upcoming generation doesn't have many in it that has respect for anyone, not even themselves! It's the parents fault.

    A group of us went up to the college to help the kids move in the dorm and pass out care packages. There was this one girl (a junior). If she had been my kid, I would have said, "If this is how you are going to treat me, here's yo stuff on the sidewalk. Get it up to the 3rd floor the best ya can, brat" and I would have left. She was mouthy. Rude. Inconsiderate. Ungrateful! We helped her parents get her stuff up to her room anyway. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was just commenting on the same thing: children in the driver's seat and parents abdicating their responsibilities to curry favor with these tiny tyrants. Why the disconnect between generations of what makes good parenting? Why do younger parents think they should be "friends" with their children?

    You did the right thing in calling out the boy.

    ReplyDelete