Friday, August 2, 2013

Sometimes it's Better to be Polite

There I was, leaving Wally World after having gotten several loaves of bread and some Gas X in the event I ever eat late in the evening again!!

I walked to the car, put my things in the back seat  and returned my cart to the corral across from me.  There was an employee gathering said carts up into a long long line so as to return them to the store.  I saw the guy five car breadths down from me at another cart corral and I got into my gar.  Looked both ways (you know where this is going probably) and saw no vehicles approaching from left or right.  The car was running so I put it into gear after another cursory glance seconds after the longer look both ways and engaged the gear into reverse and slammed into something.

Mr. Cart Mover  parked his line of carts, a "snake" of perhaps 50, right behind me within the few seconds that it took me to slip into my car and start it.  And me all unknowing!

They were not visible from the rear window so I unknowingly backed straight into them.

It made me mad-- but all I said to the guy when I got back out of the car to assess damage was that I just backed into the line of carts he left behind my idling car.  "Oh, I'll move out of the way then".  After gathering a few MORE carts, he moved them.

I asked Siri the phone number of this particular store and she found it and dialed it for me.  After 10 entire minutes on hold someone answered and I told her when I was there 1222 hrs., and what happened.  I made sure to emphasize that I had no reasonable expectation to check again when the way was free and clear not 20 seconds prior to my backing up.   I said I felt the store should have the men take care when there is an occupied vehicle in the line of their carts and move them to a safer location. She said they would and that if there was damage (there was, slight) to call the store again.

Not my favorite trip to Wally World but I was polite and non-dramatic.

My middle son left early at 8 this morning.  He is likely to be at one destination in Ohio as I write.  After that lunch meeting he will head to friends home and stay there the weekend.

I'll see you later.


22 comments:

  1. Parking lots are the worst places of all to drive. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating and annoying. Hope the rest of the weekend goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when things like that happen PLUS it makes YOU feel stupid when it really shouldn't be YOUR fault at all! You know they were just rolling their eyes taking the phone call.

    By the way, did you know that you are No Reply when you leae comments? I can't comment back to you when you leave me a comment. There is a way to change the settings if you want to do so. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. So unfortunate...and he was snide and sarcastic, to top it off? Well, bless his heart.

    Glad there was little damage to your car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are talking my language now. What I wonder was the guy told to make the conga line to be more efficient or was it his own idea?
    I park daily in a badly designed parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo for remaining calm and courteous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for being calm and nice. So many things can happen in parking lots. They should be safe, with all those cars not moving and all, but they're not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sis!
    The shouting was not understandable and so has no idea what was so bad there were hoards of police man.
    I will I could spend like a day in stayed my home specially wating TV with decided on nice golfing game.
    I like very much your photos it will go to the LAKESIDE and enjoy the water and we can see the university rowing team to as they row thrv the water in their sculls!
    Katie was very happy with you every day Sis!
    We having are raining day in here..
    I hope you having a wonderful time with your familly!
    xoxoxo
    Sis.Katie.miyuki and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy!! In the Uk they often employ people who have problems with doing reading writing etc to do these jobs and I don't think they have the judgemental skills to weigh up probabilities so you always have to be careful of where they are and what they are doing!! The whole event must have been so annoying, upsetting and frustrating for you. I do hope you were able to sort out the repair of the damage without too much more stress?! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it's so difficult to be calm and polite but you deserve a pat on the back for that. The WM here has a handicapped fellow that does the carts along with another guy. I don't know if there are others as I seldom to to WM. Don't really care for the store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I'm with you on the stress thing here , keeping your cool is now a days a thing of the past. A big pat on the back, I'd say. Hope you get the damage sorted out without any problems.
    Sheila x enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no what an annoying experience! It didn't happen if the cart mover had a common sense. At the grocery store I go sometimes, they do let the car = customer go first when they are moving the cart. You are great to be so polite after this. I hope the store will make effort to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Parking lots are dangerous places. Be glad it wasn't a little toddler running past that you couldn't see. I love the new cars that have the backing up camera so you can see what is directly behind the car. Not that I will ever have one of those, but they are wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Parking lots and mine fields have a little too much in common.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, as you know, I tried and tried to post but couldn't post to anyone at all for 2 + days -- who knows why -- but now came back to read again and Carole, it's still funny. Sorry, but you know it is. Life's little glitches can be hysterical when you look back, lol.
    Good to see you and great news about Beth. I finally got to leave her a note and now leave one for you, too. Google has a mind of it's own sometimes. Went out with my best friend, Mary, today and just got home from dinner and 8 hours worth of shopping. SO tired and ready to turn on the tube and cuddle up with the cats. Sam & Lucy send nose rubs and I send hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, glad you enjoyed it. I have to say however that damaging my bumper didn't tickle my own funnybone. Oh well..that's life.

      Delete
  16. PS/ LOVE your header with the lake view. I'd give anything at this very moment to be at that spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary here - Yikes - that's terrible. Couldn't that idot see you had started your car. You would have thought he could have waited for you to back out. Talk about stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the new header.

    So now forgive me a slight question. You checked for obstacles 20 seconds before getting in your car and backing out? The whole parking lot situation can change in 3 seconds. And a stack of 50 shopping carts is not exactly easy to stop or start quickly when cars back out of parking spaces. Its like trying to parallel-park a train.

    I understand being surprised by what cart-wranglers or other car-drivers do. People do weird things. But do you mean that you haven't purchased the new MicroAppleGoogle Sattelite ParkingLot App? You plug in a separate 5" monitor to the GPS and it gives you a real-time direct view above your vehicle so you can see what's going on around you. And it's FREE!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh the joys of parking lots. I have been lucky my whole life in them, but there is always that fear that one day I am going to back over somebody... not just a cart. Hope the damage wasn't too bad. Better then running over a child.. God forbid.. Have a wonderful week without running into shopping carts.

    ReplyDelete