Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday

That picture above in the header is my back yard, aka my forest, standing and looking off my deck one morning.  I love living where I do.  Town in the front and nothing but huge old trees all the way down to the City/County line.  We all of us on this street own our part of the woods privately.  I have my section and each home coming and going along the Greenbelt owns theirs.  This is not City owned.  It's just us chickens up and down the road.

It has rained about 22 of the 24 hours we have today.  But then, it wouldn't be natural if it had not.  We have well over our yearly quota of rain, since June.

The house is clean, the linens changed, a bit of cooking done, phone calls made and received, and reading about to be done.  The Sunday paper for one. :-)  Wish I were out on the deck in the evening sun doing so but that hasn't happened since Spring what with the extreme hotness or the rain.

Know what?  I want to make some vegetable beef soup.  I LOVE my soup.  I love it just chock full of veggies as I am very much a veggie person anyway.

I think I will hold my heart and check beef prices for stew beef for the soup.  Last time I looked the price was horrible.  But then, what isn't?  I have sticker shock if you will, each time I go to the store.  More conversations between strangers happen as we stand gasping in the aisles, jaws unhinged, looking at the prices even of a can of corn.  98 cents?  Peanut butter...and jams...Jiminy whillikers! Bread?  Hold me up...I feel faint. Meat...even CANNED meat...outta sight. I would hate to tell you what the bank sent me as a notification as to what my new interest rate is on an IRA.  Soon, they will ask ME to pay THEM.  I want to take those out and just put 'em in a mason jar somewhere--- it is so bad.

OK..I'm griping.  See ya.








22 comments:

  1. Beautiful woods. Love the light streaming through.

    Do you enjoy barley? My favorite soup to make contains chicken, canned crushed tomatoes, onions, carrots, chick broth and barley. One of the few canned soups I can tolerate is beef barley. It is a whole grain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you love living where you do. Gorgeous. Peaceful, I imagine. No screaming kids or heavy traffic on a nearby throughway. LOL.

    The price of groceries is scary. The cost of living has increased far and above any meager (and I do mean meager) increases in salary for staff where I work. I do most of my grocery shopping at one of the stores that price-matches other stores' advertised sales, so that sometimes helps a little bit. Saves running all over the city too, given I don't have a car! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photograph of the woods it is beautiful.

    Love soups and stews especially in cold months.
    Just not too hungry these days.

    Groceries, gas,everything, wow everything is going higher and higher -- where does it stop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely photo. We are fortunate to have some woods on our lot too. GA has had over 50" of rain since Jan. We are enjoying cooler temps and that is nice.
    I know what you mean about wanting to keep your money at home in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a magnificent scene looking out your back door. Just beautiful!

    Nothing is earning any interest anymore. It is pitiful. I like the line about you paying them. So very true! xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tranquil scenery Love it , don't like too many people on my back doorstep. Wildlife are welcome and friends of course. The Bank's was just talking about that the other day, and oh Sigh how my savings are quickly dwindling.
    Pay them that made me laugh to.
    Enjoy your peaceful moments Hugs
    Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that picture! I'm a real fan of trees anyway but that is unusually beautiful. You're sure right about prices...it's horrific. England just touted the 12% rise of minimum wages...food prices rose 30%...ugh. Sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, it's tough all over, as they say, Joe.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful view! The woods are so peaceful to me. You live in a beautiful place.
    I agree about the prices! They keep going up and up and we have no increase in the amount we can spend on food.
    I love soups! I haven't eaten meat for over three years so I don't know how badly those prices have risen. But even my "fake" meats have gone up a lot. ;) Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The header photo is gorgeous! It's so great you have such beautiful back yard.
    I need to eat more vegetables. I crave meat more lately and I don't know why. Vegetable beef soup sounds good. Yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Niko san and Goro san can join me and Katie?

      Delete
  10. Love the picture. Neighbors behind and sisters in front, beside andon yon street lol. But hey we love it. Don't get me started on prices. It's not good for the BP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Love your back yard. It's the complete opposite of where I live. What a wonderful place to live your life. Beef soup. How I remember my mothers.
    It's your blog. Grouse all you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a gorgeous place for certain.

      Delete
  12. Bill drove through your rain, headed to Paris, Nashville, and then Georgia. We need rain up here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that picture in your header. It's awesome. I also love your woods and am very envious. ha ha - I am not, however, envious of all the rain you get. Now I'm going to have to make homemade vege beef soup. Thanks a lot for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rain HAS to stop ONE day...surely.

      Delete
  14. Are you griping or gripping? A curious cat needs to know!! MOL It's a terrific picture in your header. We love it xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh- I LOVE good homemade vegetable beef stew. It is one of my favorites. Your header picture is gorgeous!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dear Sis!
    I'am sorry to responded with you When I did not know I was in here but today I found it easy to get into your home.
    Maybe things have changed to make it easy love and hugs always I'am always your frind and that will never change.
    I love yours home and completely agree with the back yard too.
    I love your picture as so many years Sis!!
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki and Victoria,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  17. Try using boneless beef short rib meat. Its stronger-tasting, so you need less, and it just falls apart when cooked slowly.

    ReplyDelete