Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Vagaries of Living on a Steep Hill

I say vagaries, as I have written about this quite a number of times since I started blogging on MSN Live Spaces and here.

It snowed to beat the band all day yesterday and really picked up the pace mid-afternoon.  Here in this area I am pleased to call our form of snow "ball bearing snow".  Why?  because it is like trying to navigate thru a sea of ball bearings.  SO slippery. The snow here is rarely the "packable" kind.  It is always icy and rather reminds you of pellets though certainly it is not in fact.

Well, as mentioned several (hundred!!) times (I know) I live at the highest point in my town and trust me, it is high.  AND the couple of miles to get to my house from the main drag are many turns, and all going up and up and up.  Quite a decent grade too.

I am saying this as it is always an experience to see those who either live up here on my street beyond my home or just people trying to get from point A to point B.  An experience because the street is icy.  No ifs ands or buts.  Even if it's snow, it is STILL icy.  If there were another ice storm NO one gets ANYwhere around here.

Yesterday as expected cars were trying to get up the road at less than a walkers pace.  Wheels spinning, slipping and crabbing sideways.  Making it up excruciating foot by foot.  When they get abreast of my home, there is always the problem of them veering over toward my yard and in this case missing my chain link fence by a cat's whisker width.  I had my heart in my throat as these people had their own in their own throats as they slid helplessly over closer and closer.  I know they saw me at the window.

One year the ice storm brought us well over an inch of ice.  People literally crawled on their hands and knees, I am not exaggerating, trying to get up the street-- yet they still slid.  Once, my then husband went to get the boys from Boy Scouts meeting one evening  and it took 5 hours to get home. A two mile trip.

All righty.  Just checking in.  xox  That is one of my pink Daffodils in my yard.

17 comments:

  1. Hills are definitely no fun when they are covered with snow and ice! Especially when you have to try to drive up them! I remember leaving the car at the foot of the hill and walking in deep snow with the girls when they had been dismissed early from school. Evidently it wasn't early enough! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink daffodil is beautiful Twin! It reminds me that even though winter is here, spring is not far behind. 49 days, but who's counting?? Not me of course. :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yikes, that hill sounds so treacherous! We have a little hill at the end of our street that's problematic, but yours sounds much worse. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe, and better make that chain link fence stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. as everyone says, Carole, stay safe, that hill sounds mighty vicious. Loving the Daffodil, 'tis a beauty. Love to you 'n Li'l Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill is always careful climbing hills and steep inclines with the semi. It is hard when it is icy. Please be careful! ~xo~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last time it snowed, it got so icy on the road and I could not drive up the low slope inside subdivision. It snowed on Tuesday, but I'm glad this time the ice has melted by now. Please stay safe and warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Navigating snow and ice is a really tricky business. With all that we get here we still have trouble. When dealing with a hill like yours I really feely for you people. Take care, keep safe and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living in areas like that can have it's challenges. As you know I live in a state called Montana...a slight variation of the Spanish word for mountain and in this state I live in an area called "the heights". Top all this with winters filled with cold and snow...well, let's say I more than feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like it's an expedition every time you go out in those conditions!!! Keep warm. Keep safe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMC - when it hits you, it really hits doesn't it. It's a good thing you don't get that kind of ice/snow every day or you would never get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I'm glad I don't live on a hill. We did when I was a kid. I remember my dad having such a difficult time getting up the hill to our house. Beth says 50 days until spring. I can't wait.
    My sisters lost her kitty of 15 years Monday. That sad event finally forced me to post after over a week of having nothing to write about and being absent from Blogger. Little Onxy will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are having ice now, so we are staying inside. I have daffodils like that, too. I planted them long ago, but I can't remember what they are called. They are quite fragrant, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear that sounds pretty treacherous ! glad I don't live on a hill. Keep warm hugs Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopping by to say hello..sorry I been twirling around and haven't felt like visiting much. Glad you are home safe anyway..looks like more white here today..I am sooo sick of winter.. Yeeechhh Stay warm and well..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sure the neighbor's laugh at me while walking down the sloped driveway. I walk like Tim Comway's "Little Old Man". Well, I don't fall down either. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Sis!
    The beautiful Daffodils.you are lacky to have Sis! You are excessive heat and your some of bad cold we certainly hope that our spring blossoms will come through wishing you a happy day wish nice weather.
    xoxoxo
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki,and Victoria,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete