Monday, February 3, 2014

A Story of Some Wrens

Once upon a time (which really was about five years ago) I was sitting at the little bistro set I have on my deck, enjoying reading and  the shade under my green market umbrella.   The sun was shining brilliantly and the day was perfect.

My small deck is populated with a grill, a little bistro set with its umbrella that I take in and out as the occasion demands, some plants along the sides of the deck, a hummingbird feeder as well as a very small unobtrusive wind chime.  Tiny tinkle type sounds came out of it.  Perhaps that is why "they" chose it to build a home.

As I stated in the first line, I was sitting at the wee table reading when I saw movement at the wind chimes location.  The wind chime had small little cylinder, not much bigger than an eight ounce can of tomato sauce.  Suspended from it were five small  tuned pipes and a little metal circle in the center that provided the base for the little chimes to hit against, making their sound.

I had missed what made the movement at first but before my eyes returned to the book, I saw a sweet sight.  A family of  Carolina wrens had set up their home inside that tiny cylinder.  They entered it through what looked to me to be far too small an opening.  What is more, they had two babies.  I saw their heads shadowed against the frosted white of the cylinder when momma and poppa flew in to feed their two babes.

I was not allowed to remain on the deck for several weeks as the parents sat on the rail or on the roof overhang and scolded me mercilessly.

I had no desire to upset them but it meant giving up sitting out on the deck any time in the daylight hours.  They were worth it.

So, I bowed to their demands and waited.  One day several weeks in, I was in the living room and saw a dusky little wren who had fledged at last.  His parents sat on the rail of the deck while he and then his sibling fluttered down and settled right beside my large window,  Their wings fluttered again and again with their parents encouraging them.

Friends, I am here to tell you their new plumage was so very soft that their sweet beating wings had no sound as they fluttered; and their wings looked as soft and tender as though they had been cut from satin.  Oh, the little loves.  I was enchanted.

It was the first time I have borne witness to a little family so close to me.  The wind chimes touched my big window so they were that near when they lived inside.

I felt saddened when they flew away but then, it is the way of the world.  Parents of all species care for their little ones when they are helpless and stay by their sides as they learn to be independent.

I am smiling even now at the memory of those soft small miracles. I say thank you for that sweetness.


14 comments:

  1. Twin, this is a beautiful story. I wish you had some pics to show us. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carole, what a wonderful thing to witness. I have never seen a wren here, to my knowledge. We do have them in WI, but they just have not visited me. What a great story, and I'm so happy you decided to share it with us. Reading this I could vividly picture exactly what was happening as your descriptions was so explicit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story Carole, I to wish you had taken some photos. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am smiling myself at the idea of being able to see the wrens so close. I have had the pleasure of seeing baby birds chasing the parents around the yard, flutterring their wings to beg for food, but never that close.

    But with the bitter temperatures and snowfall, I DID put out a plate of black oil sunflower seeds on the deck. The cats loved seeing the birds up close. *I* loved watching the birds eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so awesome to see nature at it's best and the beginning of new lives like that. You had a lifetime experience. Love this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, how lucky you are to be able to watch the sweet family so close! Such sweet and beautiful story...made me smile, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sad to see bird families move out isn't it? We have a nest right outside our backyard deck door that's been abandoned for a few years...I have no idea why. Now it's all about morning doves...no nests but lots of them hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have wrens that return every year to the same houses we have hanging in our 60+ year old very large lilac bush/ tree. Their song is just amazing and I love when I hear their first notes each spring. They have babies every year and it is such a treat to watch them all fly through the yard and sing throughout the spring and summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful story! It was a pleasure to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely memory, Carole. Thank you for sharing this story ... it made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sis!
    You having a enjoying few books reading that was five year ago..I has too hot day is now and nother 15 days to the news said..
    We both having a bad weather.
    xoxoxo
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki and Victoria,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! The story of The Wren Family captivated me.

    ReplyDelete