Sunday, March 9, 2014

The so-called flip side.

Many of us are pet owners.  Sometimes we are called pet parents and I think that happens when love for the pet is obvious and good care is taken for their welfare.  Katie my cat has a blog and it is very easy to see she is loved and cared for.  I am comfortable expressing that in the Cat Blogosphere, as there are many just like me.

That is the prelude. Here comes the point.

The flip side then is the very real love one develops toward pets and other animals.   That love happens because the pet loves us so much.  As has been written thousands of times, that love really IS unconditional.  When you are kind to them they look for that kindness each day. When they feel safe and loved, that is the turning point to unconditional love from them to us.  What a pure love.  They don't care or note our appearance or what our clothing or what ours and their home looks like.  That home can be a street corner with their person.  The owner and animal are just as loved by one another.

The second part of my point is that love we have for our pet many times extends to other pets, even if  we only see them on the Internet in the form of a blog or on Facebook.  That leaves us achingly vulnerable to the inhuman acts perpetrated on these blameless innocents of whom we are charged to be stewards.  If their innocent little face or body and their story is thrust on us all unknowing, many of we pet parents/owners suffer terribly.  We retain the picture of inhuman cruelty in our minds forever, seeing it again and again no matter how we try to "erase" it.  If we find we have read a description by the usually well meaning person--- that description remains  in our memory forever.  An exquisitely painful memory.

These well meaning persons posting these extreme pictures are "preaching to the choir" most often.  Those of us who see it are rarely the guilty ones who have become devilish monsters. (Yes, monsters, as that is what they are, those who do these horrendous things).  We who see the postings are the loving ones, the ones who rescue.  So are the ones who post these things.  I wish they would not show us the intense suffering as that only crushes those of us who happen on it before they can stop looking.  We do all we can to rescue and love all animals and birds we come across and we volunteer.  We give our money.  Those monsters who MAY see such postings revel in it.  It does no good to my way of thinking.  Please just rally people to try to have punishment at the civil level for the perpetrators and to support in ways that are doable.

Just my thought on the matter in the form of a blog.  I have tears in the backs of my eyes as I write because I just ran across one of those pictures posted by a dear friend.  I can't bear it.

26 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Twin!! I can't imagine why anyone would post such pictures.
    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Beth, they mean well. That is why they post it. Those who see my blog are not the perpetrators and those on FB usually aren't either. The monsters are the ones who troll looking for these horrific things. They usually post atrocities on U-Tube too which is why I stay away in droves from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I can't stand to see cruelty to animals of any kind. I can't even stand to watch those commercials on TV asking for donations. It just breaks my heart. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one who couldn't watch those Human Society ads on TV! I am broken for hours after seeing just a second of those!

      Delete
    2. Patty, they leave me drenched in tears and I just want to run away when I see it. I avoid it at all costs.

      Delete
    3. Same here! Mistakenly saw part of one once. As soon as the music comes on, I change the channel to anything else.

      Delete
  4. It breaks Mom's heart every time she sees posts like that.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, I am totally devastated by such things. I am with you on this one! I think Facebook is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you about this post. I'm a parent of my fur babies and the love is mutual and unconditional!
    The stories about animal cruelty and horrible images haunt me forever. I cry thinking about the pain the poor baby went thorough. I wish tears could save their soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a part time pet. She's a cat that belongs to the people upstairs. I used to be their daughters cat. The cat is well fed and not abused but she obviously is starved for attention. When I moved in I petted and scratched her and she took to me more than her owners. One day Joe (upstairs) and I were sitting on the back porch enjoying an adult beverage and the cat came up to me and jumped on my lap. He was so surprised.. The cat mainly lives in the basement, it's pretty nice down there with a complete kitchen and living room area. She now comes to my door when her owners aren't quick enough to let her in goes right for the cellar door. She's getting a bit long in the tooth at 15 but seems to be in pretty good shape. As I said before we always had cats when I was growing up and my sisters still have them. I've always liked cats and dogs too. Arlene has a Min Pin called Bruno and my friend Dave has a Chihuahua named Coco. He gets so excited when I visit, that he runs around like a nut. He sounds like he's tap dancing on the hard wood floors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand and hate seeing these things too. I commend those who work in animal rescue and see far more than we could ever imagine. WE are the choir like you said and it is not us that needs to know these things. Because too often we already know and it breaks our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see these kinds of photos on my facebook page often. I KNOW what happens to some animals out there, and it sickens and angers me to no end. I always 'hide' these things, but i can't do it until it's too late. If these friends of mine are trying to send a message, to whom are they trying to send it?? Every friend i have on facebook, as far as i know, loves animals. I just don't get it. I would hug every one of these animals close to my heart and protect each one if i could, but i can't. I'm sorry you're going through this Carole. I really am. Hugs good friend. I wish i could give you a big, comforting hug in person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It tears me up inside to see those photos, the ASPCA commercials, even something bad/sad happening to an animal in a cartoon and the images and sounds of those things stay in my head forever. I wish people didn't post those things and I try to skim over them quickly but often the images still get burned in my head. I understand the need to raise awareness to what happens but I'm already aware so it just breaks my heart and leaves me in tears every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carole, I have just posted a photo of a beautiful little Kitty, go have a look. This is a greenhouse kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sis!
    Katie our cat has a big and she is loved and caured for you are comfortabe in the blogosphere are just like yours!
    When you are kind to them she does look for that kindness everyday.
    She does note your apprarance you are clothing in her home.
    The owner and animal are just loved by one another AND Katie no too!
    You has good meaning that descripition remenes in your memory.
    you cab recue and love all animals and birds.
    Sorry about teaair in the backs of your eyes you has write I'm very sorry for you Sis!
    You will have a good night sleep Sis!
    We has very hot day today 31!
    xoxoxo
    Sis,Katie,Miyuki, and Victoria,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carole, you hit the spot for me, right on... Like you and many others, I care for animals, all animals, in that I try to donate to every charity I can think of, my cheque book is full to over flowing with £10 monthly payments to Charities who send me their literature, showing the harm cruel people have done to our furry friends... I had tears in my eyes too, reading your words, tears of empathy, 'cos as you say, they are preaching to the converted. Phew!! got to blow my nose.. Isn't there a limit as to how much water can come outa one persons eyes? :-) xPenx (email addy below)
    penny_granger@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you Carole. I always have tears running down my face when I see such things. Then I pick up Oreo and hold him as long as he'll let me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the first time, i posted a link like that on fb. the last ones were of a happy pup... i took the link down later though because it was all just so disturbing and i didnt want to spread the unhappiness....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh God how I hate coming across these!, usually as I scroll my newsfeed on FB! By then it's too late! I delete it, but the damage is Done! I am extremely upset with these stories and images. I know it's out there, but it breaks my heart and makes me so angry, and I get so upset! :( I so Totally Agree with you! ♥♥ xoxo ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't like seeing pictures that are disturbing and upsetting and can't often see the point as those who love and care about animals usually know there are those out there that don't and can be so cruel

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so right on. i don't enjoy seeing those picture wither. If they are determined to bring it to the forefront, why not just write a little bit about it, without a lot of details, and forget the pictures. Sorry I've been missing again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree , I don't like such post nor those showing children suffering from abuse

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have opposing thoughts in my mind about this, but I understand what you are sayng. One part says "other peple must be shown these sad things. The other part recognizes that SOME sick people are made happy by these images.

    I don't know for sure what to do. I tend toward showing the cruelties in hope that most people are good and will support anti-cruelty laws as a result of seeing bad things. We can't help that some people are sick.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We totally agree, Carole. Such posts break our hearts and stay with us forever, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well I just wrote a lot and lost internet when I went to post and lost it all. Oh well I so agree with you Carole it just breaks my heart to see those posts. On facebook it is the worst. The image is there and often haunts me for days. We all need to put out happy and positive thoughts and visions if we want our world to become that. Those that dwell on the negative or only putting that kind of energy out. I don't mind the occasional story with a happy ending, but not just one after an other of abused or abandoned animals looking for homes. Just breaks me.. So glad you voiced yourself on this one. Happy Spring Again. Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete