Friday, April 4, 2014

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might

Someone in the past several days had a most excellent blog and in it they said if you could turn back time for a while, where would time stop for you? If I could only remember who wrote that I would give them credit right now.  I just cannot recall and I have tried hard all day.

The blogger then opened the blog comments to our thoughts on the matter.  I chose something not unlike me.  That would be when my children were one year as the youngest and three and four years of age for the other two.  That was truly a very happy time for me.  It was before I had to struggle so much and so long and when I could give all the nourishment to their hearts and minds I could possibly give them.  They learned, and knew they were loved.  The passage of an additional five years from then was also a beautiful time for me.

wind blown daffodils in my side yard. 



After some more consideration I have decided that the age of two years till five years of age were a wonderful three years for me.  Both parents, two much older brothers and being the baby of the family and a little girl had advantages in that I was protected a bit more perhaps.  I do know regardless of  the accuracy of my perception now that I was happy.  Lying on my stomach on the warm grass in the spring and summer sunshine, munching the tiny tiny flowers (from weeds no doubt).  Giving our long suffering tolerant bull terrier a  frequent mud bath with the wooden spoon from my little dixie cup.  Walking back and forth on the concrete barrier about ten inches high, that guarded the lawn from the street.  Listening to my brothers with their buddies and seeing their comic books, trying to make sense of them.  Playing with my blocks and being taught to make designs with them.  The ritual of being put to bed at night, hearing the same music that was played just for me.  Just all manner of things.  A happy time.  A nice home and neighbor little girl friends to play with.

After the age of five, things were not easy for me. Two things have been good since the age of five however.  A vast amount of travel outside this Country,  and having my children.  Perhaps I shall include my career as  it changed me completely except for the love of my family.  There, I remain the same.

MORE windblown daffodils in my yard


Enough of memory lane.  SO: I will stop the years at my age of two please, and again when I had my three children.

Were would YOU stop time or would you?  Many will say not ever, for any number of reasons.  But it is fun to think of an hour or a day of carefree happiness.  Some have that 7/24/365 and that is good.


20 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Twin, that was my post you are referring to. I would love to see my mom and dad again and hopefully I will some day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Twin. That was, as you can read, a very thought provoking bloggie. xo

      Delete
  2. As I sit here, without time to give it a lot of thought, just the quick back flash in time.... It takes me no time at all to know this a most difficult question lol. I know for sure that I would not choose one second of childhood, although as an adult there have been many sporadic blessed moments and yet not so blessed moments that have brought me to where I am today and although my kids are my greatest gift and asset I don't believe I would choose to relive nor change a thing. Even my darkest days in the past are what creates the brighter days today. I just hope to have many more looking ahead !
    Great post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree my friend. I wouldn't change the days. They are the building blocks; both the good times and the bad. The form us into what we are. We agree too that our children are our finest asset.

      Delete
  3. I think some of my days in California when I lived out there were my happiest. I did well physically with the warmer weather and worked and had a place I loved, and visited the ocean every chance I got. It was a happy time for me. I agree with Beth that it's all the times together that make us who and what we are now so I am glad I had that time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smiled. I could have predicted this lovely answer. I know how you loved it there. xo

      Delete
  4. My best (happiest) years were when I was 12 and when I was 32. I wouldn't want to turn the clock back, though...not if I had to relive all these years over again. However, if I could choose to go to to one point, I'd want to go back to my late teens or early 20s and have a competent professional diagnose me with clinical depression. Because what I went through for so many years wasn't merely teenage angst and low self-esteem, but none of the "professionals" I saw were on the ball enough to know that something more was going on.

    Of course I can't change my past, but once in a long while I wonder if or how my life would have been different if someone had realized decades ago that I had a mental health issue. Probably life wouldn't have been easier, but I might have made different/better choices for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A considered and thoughtful reply and one that shows you know yourself-- which many of us have not learned yet. It's not too late to pursue another chance at meaningful-to-you therapy. xxoo

      Delete
  5. Hard to say...very heard to say...probaby when Bill and I were newlyweds. That was a wonderful time in our lives. We even traveled around in a van, with my old dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely memories you have! When I was small, I munched tiny flower, too. I'm sure it was weed, but it had pretty puple/pink flower and tasted very sweet. If I could, I want to go back to when I lived with my three fur girls :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did? I love the thought that I am not the only one! One day would you consider writing about your fur girls? Please? The boys won't mind they said.

      Delete
  7. The only way I'd ever go back would be if I could know then what I know now. So much of my life has been about waiting for what's next. What a joy it would be to be able to fully appreciate the moment...on the bright side there's no time like the present to begin doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bhu: I think I liked it better when I was five.
    Patty: No stopping time for me, sorry. Every day I am more and more amused by aging and understand so much more about all that has happened. I don't want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a great childhood and cannot think of any one time I would like to go back and revisit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sis!
    In the morning with breakfast I also drink one glass of skint milk It make for a great protective finer in the stomack before taking medication just a kabit and it works fine,
    It is so true that water intake is the most important thing other wise the body starts extre acting from our blood and that causes high blood pressure lots of affects if we don't frydrate oursefves properly,
    Not a secret really but I know a bottle of water on my bedside table and when I wake up with a fight headache,drinking water is often the core.
    My body is not too fart ha ha I also love my wine life is to enjoyed!
    We are spoilod for culinary choise these days in Marvellous,multicultural mouth -watering Melbourne.
    I thinking about you and our Katie also Admiral all time with me.
    Are you stil having a beautiful your hair staill? I never forgot about a long time Sis!! love you my brain also needs time to warm up ha ha
    Have a nice time.
    xxxooo
    Sis.Katie,Miyuki,and victoria,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen this thought-provoking question a time or two in recent weeks. I have to say that there is no one particular age or time in my life to which I'd like to return. There are feelings and moments I'd like to reclaim. The feelings of freedom, of fearlessness, of the belief that I could do anything: riding my bike along Lake Michigan at sunrise, singing and acting for 10 years of my young life, my best friend and I running across a bridge of the Chicago River just as it was starting to raise up. Moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Best Times" are always so difficult. Never had a family, so that's out. Wonderful times with cats. A few exciting experiences.

    But if I had to chose one, I guess it was when I survived a trip across a lake in a canoe when a storm boiled over the horizon. My friend was not experienced in a canoe. I had to fight hard to keep the bow quartered to the waves. It was the closest to dying I've come. I knew what I was doing and *I* was scared.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Carole! I'm catching up. Let's see, what would I go back to? Actually there are many moments I'd love to relive over and over but if I 'had' to choose, there would be 2 equally important times to me. One was the very moment I realized to the core of my being how much I was in love with someone. The other will sound morbid but in reality isn't. It was the last moments of Mom's life. I got to tell her how much I loved her and got to hear her say, "Oh, my darling daughter, I love you, too". Those were her last words and nothing could have meant more. So there you have it.

    Did you take a look at Lucy lying on her back in the Valentine's Day shot? Was that Katie or what!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here you go :D http://lucythebeautiful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete