Saturday, August 23, 2014

Through the Night

 Unless you savor every thing that comes to you as I always do..sight, sound, smell, things I see, this blog topic will mean nothing to you and I will be more boring than ever to read.

My oldest and I went to have a Happy Birthday supper at my youngest son's home.  His wife prepared dinner.  It was yesterday that the birthday occurred, but his wife was attending the birth of her best friend since childhood's baby!  So son and wife and my other sons and I celebrated tonight.

I left their home about 2030 and took the oldest back to his place in The Big City.  Then I started home.  Not much traffic anywhere I was and there was a ghost of light in the sky's edges left as I hurtled down the road.  Here is where and when  I became enchanted.  It will be nothing to you all I know.  But as I traveled through the dusk to almost dark..enjoying seeing the trees silhouetted against the darkening skies,  even though I had the cars' a/c on, I could smell the green scents of freshly mown grasses along the side of the road.  I smelled some vehicle exhaust occasionally, again, the green fragrances of summer's wild growth as I sped through their realm.

The air was a steady but not forceful cold against my face and the fragrances thru the window that was slightly down took me way back in my mind for a few moments to times as a teen I would take a friends car after getting my license, and drive the dirt roads...windows down, cool night air coming in and the same wonderful fragrances.  Yes, including gasoline scent wafting through occasionally.

I had a CD tonight that I played that I bought on a lark 12 years ago.  Way before my time style music.  It had that music they call swing music.  I think all these are from the 40's.  Glen Miller and other big band leaders of that era.

I don't care for that style of music.  I bought it 10-12 years ago in the grip of nostalgia for my parents. But tonight I finally played it in the car.

I was hurtling down the highways, about a 28 mile trip...cool night scented air in my face and nostrils.  Oh what heaven.  And what nostalgia.  I smiled all the way home.  Partly in gladness for the lovely evening and seeing him open his gifts from us all.  And the rest, the magic of the dusk, the quiet, the chill air so utterly fresh, the low old music, the sights of night fall.  The clear roads all the way home accompanied by night music and the subtle sounds and joyous fragrance when the music went away. ..it was magic.

But only to me.

20 comments:

  1. Dear Sis!
    Your come home after you has travelel in darkenung skies it must be so many years in same road.. but you has friend car this time still you has very enjoyed with the cars sthat was make you to confortable to come home.
    Love you Sis! I wish I can see you when you came home in the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful drive. I love swing music specialy when I can dance to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sis! Coming see you but you were concemed the hot of the days!
    Sis,KATIE,Miyuki and Victoria,
    xoxoxo
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds perfect to me.Glen Miller brings wonderful memories of my parents it is soothing to me now. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful nostalgia brought by the drive. Certain smell or scenes remind me of old times even though they may be nothing to others. And I enjoy the moments of nostalgia by myself. It's a very special moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosemary B here:
    Smell is big for me. Many times it pricks my memory. Then it takes a few minutes of sniffing and going through my photo file cabinet in my brain.
    Now, I hope you were super focusing on your driving skills whilst listening to Glen and his band. I listen to 40's on 4 practically all the time in my car. Love that station. I love Billie Holiday, other than that I prefer just that 40's style with out singing. I also like Sinatra.
    There is something about Maryland that sickens me. So when I am there, I just can't wait to leave. Hubbs and I were there at the old house all day yesterday. I spend half the time going through stuff in the garage, mostly my dad's tools and stuff (he was never handy but he had some cool old tools) and I found a bag of mom's sewing things. I love going through other people's sewing stuff.
    As we get old and decrepit, our file cabinets start to over flow. Somehow, memories get purged and only snippets are left. Finding those memories reminds you of how fleeting life it.
    I love you Carole. Have a lovely Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. the typos. I just rolled out of my nest.
      Oh well, I know you get it

      Delete
  7. Music sets the stage for magic...I've always believed that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know, I'M A skimmer, but the evening you described was heavenly, and I too have experiencced things like that - especially when driving on a country road - smelling all the scents that come thru hte window. Fresh mown hey for one! Smells heavenly. Yes, music sets the stage for a special evening like that./

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post and no, not boring at all :) "they" say that smell is the most evocative of our senses and I tend to agree! The smell of my hand soap reminds me instantly of my time on campus in Jerusalem!! No idea why lol

    Oh and I do like swing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it dont mean a thing if it ain't got that swing....

      Delete
  10. Yeah I can imagine how wonderful the trip was as I myself would enjoy such a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You described it wonderfully as I could visualize and hear the music.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this beautiful post, Carole. I could feel, see and hear your experience in my mind. And for what it's worth, I like swing music, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sounds magical times like these have got to be treasured .
    So glad you caught the moment . x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nancy is right Sis...we could smell, hear and feel the evening drive.. I enjoyed it so. Making memories always is wonderful. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could imagine the whole peaceful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We too often travel enclosed in A/C comfort ignoring the outside smells of nature.

    I did not grow up with "swing" music, but I have a few CDs of it, and I have to admit, there IS some movement to it. It was my parents' generation music but for some reason, they didn't seem to like it much. I like it (and not because they didn't)! Let's just say I think it's the best thing before rock.

    Rock, with guitars and drums is great. But there is something to be said for trumpets, saxs, and drums, too. Glenn Miller, Count Bassie, and Bennie Goodman could make music to get the feet moving!

    In fact, I think I'll go put on a Swing CD now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Todays was one of those days August beautiful day I just thinking of lovely club thing I explains so good in my golfing. but I don't feeling with you
    happy is one reason including how I don't hnow why?
    The hornible sound from the my point here over and aagain?
    I love you so much with you Sis!
    xoxoxo
    Sis.KATIE,Miyuki,and Victoria,
    Michiko




    ReplyDelete