Sunday, November 29, 2015

eBay

Big surprise of the unpleasant variety for me yesterday,  I bid on a cookbook from the church my DIL and her family attend.  ( DIL goes with my son, her hubby to his church where they live now).

It, the cookbook, was described as clean, unmarked in the margins and in good shape.  I read the eBay description of good.  This person lives right here in my town, so I asked if I could just "buy it now" and meet at Starbucks and let me get it without paying the postage which was more than the cookbook.  She said yes.  I could not skip the postage (I should have thought of that) and so as an added attraction, he husband dropped it by into my mailbox.

I was tickled until I opened it.  Nasty stale horrible cigarette smoke came out of the package and book as though  it was an empty (or not) butt tray!  The cookbook stinks so badly I have it in a large thick plastic bag.  There is writing in it and it is not clean.  I could return it but I won't.  I put it down to the first bad experience I have had on eBay. and I'm not out that much money.  Besides, they know where I live as it would have had to be sent through the mail as you know. Don't want a flaming bag o' poo on my porch.

By the way, this is not an attack on smokers. Smoke if you want to.  I certainly did till I quit cold turkey 15 years ago and never looked back even once.  But I did not subject folks to the smell, even before the trend to smoking outside became THE thing you had to do...I had never smoked in my home.  Not once.  The smell, the tobacco staining of the walls and light fixtures, but most of all the smell that everything reeks made me not even tempted.  I didn't smoke in the house because of the children.


I recall the house next door when I still smoked was horrible to be in.  The couple smoked constantly and when the door was opened (I didn't go there much unless it was to sit on the porch) a thick gray cloud just roiled and rolled out of the door. I smoked, and I couldn't take it.  I finally told her. So we sat in her screened in porch.

The sciatica is 99% gone.  A bit of muscle pain remains but that is from walking in a strange way while this was going on. Too long a post.

On Thanksgiving, had I been here most of the time I would have written a Thankfulness blog.  For all of you.  You have been with me through good times and some very bad ones.  My gratitude is real for each of you in my life.   I am all better from both afflictions and I feel that I am finally able to look over the top of the fence and see some sunshine in a manner of speaking. XooX


Our new accomplishment





17 comments:

  1. What a disappointment! Especially when the person is local!! It is great you are so much better :) Do you know that sunshine is always brighter and more sparkling after the rain ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is VERY true. We both of us know that.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear your sciatica is almost a thing of the past.

    What a stinky (literally) thing to do advertising the cookbook as clean. I suppose it wouldn't be a good thing to flag the seller on E-Bay since
    she lives in your town and knows where you live. :(

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am glad your sciatica is better! However, that is just awful about that cookbook. What in the world would possess someone to say it was in good condition? I hope that you give some feedback on eBay so that the next person knows who they are dealing with. That kind of thing just makes me a bit nuts---to be told something and then have it not be true. Well, live and learn, I guess. We all know it takes all kinds--too bad you got "skunked"!
    Happy new week! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just rotten about the smoke-smelling cookbook, Carole. We are sorry that happened. :(

    But we are glad your sciatica is gone, and you are feeling good!

    Hugs to you and Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are feeling better. I have my new phone organzed and am getting organized with the computers. I am trying! I am working hard at it! I am glad you had a good holiday, too. Mine was quiet with the cats. Bill and Stella were stuck at a yard in central IL, close but not close enough. *sigh* (PS...Bill quit cold turkey in 1991, from 2 - 3 packs a day. He never went back.) ♡ I think I would donate the book. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an unpleasant surprise with that cook book...ugh! I'm glad you're getting better and will remember you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are so much better Sis and sorry you had such a horrible transaction with the book. I agree there is nothing worse than picking up one that smells so bad. INSIDE the bag try some softener sheets.. seal it up and hope it helps..I live next to a smoker and boy I have to use sprays all the time here and open the windows even in the wintertime. .. I am thankful for you and so happy you are better. XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carole

    no joke, get some charcoal and put it in the bag with the book, it will absorb the smoke odor; glad your health has improved and back at cha;

    we are thanx full az da tabbies say; for yurz & katie & admiralz friend ship ~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you are feeling better. I am battling smoking. Not only is it a health risk but it's so expensive especially around here, but then again everything is expensive around here. I see myself moving a bit north in the future. The New Hampshire line is only about 25 miles from here and I would have easy access to the Boston area because it is a straight shot right into down town or here where my family and friends are.
    Time to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that sucks, smoke sticks to things, my daughter is a smoker and her clothes always stink of smoke which sucks, thankfully she has never smoked in her house,as like her dad they smoke outside I have no problem with smokers as long as they don't blow it in my face or expect to smoke inside my house, I allow it in the car if the windows are down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awful, you deserve your money back. I can't stand the smell of smoke and I would have been disappointed too. When I was a tutor and had to go to people's homes, I hated the smoking ones and had to shower immediately after going there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless your heart, dear Carole. Perhaps there is a way to at least remove the odor from the pages. Paper is organic material and might react favorably. What a shame the description did not match the item. Whether or not she offered a guarantee, it still puts you in a right spot as no one wants a flaming bag of poo!

    I smoked but could never stand the smell - especially of dirty ashtrays or the smoke in bars. I was happy when smoking indoors was banned in public places. Cold turkey for me too and no desire to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sis!
    I'am very happy withyour body now but it was so many years ago I know of smokel my husband and few other people not anynore with all my friend too.
    I sould have thought of that is one from newZeland man, Today was one of those days.October is famous for Blue blue clouds..It was a gorgeous
    day. Iam glad you're eye is ok. I hope you're fine of the fence, I had next right one too in end both of never do again.
    Katie is asleep in her thick plusky bed and snoring loudy ..Love you!
    Sis.Katie.Miyuki.and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sis!
    The postage You shoull have thought of that your husband dropped in your mailbox. you has nasty horrible though was cigarette smoke of the package
    book.you has not money through the mail you don't wan't framing bag..Poo an your porch. after wan't to your cartainly you was quit cold twrkey bat you did of smoking outside you has smoked in your home.
    A lots of to do I didn't smoke in the house any mores. Thank you Sis! you are very good for your not smokes..anymore...Not good for the C
    children. I hoping with few walking Please Sis!
    xxooxx
    Sis.Katie.Miyuki.and Victoria.
    Michiko








    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Carole,
    Well, I too have once in a while received such stinky stuff but for books it's nearly impossible to get rid of the smokey smell.
    There are mean people and I doubt if we could ever make them change...
    So happy to read that you are almost back on top again. Pain is hard to cope with. I got a great report during my Monday checkup after the nasty tumor and all else got removed two years ago. Yes, that far away from the time we were kind of down, things look good again. And my screwed up finger (surgery done by wrong person) from last year October, well I can live with it. So not much to complain about.
    Wishing you a very happy month of December, a cozy time for being at home with loved ones.
    Hugs and blessings,
    Mariette

    So happy today as my Dad does not need surgery for his heart and also for my 22nd birthday as an American.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sis!
    I just looking for in here not my letter to you ..
    Please send me what is happening in here?
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete