Saturday, February 20, 2016

Bias in Media

Older folks...and you'd have to be a minimum of 50 something to possibly recall, had the privilege of hearing national news and local as well told in balanced terms and speech.  No bias was discernible. in word or tone or facial expression.  That is not to say that the reporter wasn't personally biased one way or another, but he/she were not permitted to show anything but neutrality.

Why can't we again  have news reported with neutrality?  Without all the roller coaster up and down clownish speech to gain attention to the latest media favorite. and sensationalism.   Time was ...news was spoken into the microphone.  Necessary details were provided but not graphic details as you have to endure now.  And not graphic pictures and not endless talk about those "details" over and over for 2 1/2 hours each night.  In the mornings too.  They start at 4AM and keep it up till that circus called GMA comes on with its own sensationalism.  Back to the local stations however...I would love to not see close ups of victims with tears running down their faces with so close a focus that you can count the eyelashes as well as pores in their noses.

Yellow journalism is all we have these past 25 years and hours of it.  Our local affiliates start at 4PM 12 hrs after the 4 am fiasco.  Local things are repeated in a biased manner over and over and over until 6:30 PM.  Endless re-showing of tragedy, tears, blood, maiming of innocent animals, killing of people.  Endlessly repeating in loud, voices with liberal nodding and looking at one another for "back up" if there is a co-anchor.

Just sayin'. I so wish there was neutral delivery of just news without all the gore and sensationalism.  Do I keep watching?  No.  I turn it off.  I try another channel and of course they are all the same.

Seems they save a lot of money having college interns doing all the work so they can "gain experience".  Finished rant.


16 comments:

  1. Here too. I'll watch our local evening news and pay attention for the top stories during the first few minutes, then I usually tune out. I tend to shy away from the news channels now for the reasons you've already expressed. And yes, at almost 52, I'm old enough to remember when news was reported as news, not as some stupid drama/reality TV/soap opera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing here. I usually watch just once and then turn it off. I try to get the national news, although that it getting sickening as it's all political.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont get me started about gma - what a joke. I turn that off. I like my simple local news with no drama... and Zero Bias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What we do is to DVR the main news programs (30 minutes in the evening) and then later we either watch or not, or speed through it. Living in an area where New York City News is part of our "local" news means that the local part is just awful awful awful. Fires, hit and runs, murders, drama over the weather, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the news when it's delivered as a news and not as drama! I rarely watch news on TV...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have to consider the political bent of a particular news organization. It's hard to discern sometimes. Then there's all the flashy graphics while you listen them tell you how fabulous and unbiased they are. For me as long as friends and family are ok, then the rest becomes extraneous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bias is certainly today's news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not watch news on tv anymore. They focus on dopey stuff, like local car-jackings, robberies and then a lot of fluffy stuff,
    National News is certainly biased. You know the White House tells the news orgs what to say, as you can hear the exact same talking points verbatim on every news channel. It is rather sad. This is where we are as a country. Now Bernie Sanders wants to make College free, as if.... those poor kids get enough brainwashing as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SIS.. there was little competition back in the OLD DAYS, none of the techno stuff they have now.Three major networks..now there are so many it boggles the mind. I watch the first hour and then I know they will re run the news over and over so OFF it goes. Lot of times I am watching the weather channel because they do give up to date info on what kinds of weather is happening in the country. I switch the channel quick if all the political stuff starts. I like info I just don't like so much of it.Too much is made of the "breaking news" now, it is sensationalized and not really all that important.I do agree it is just not like it used to be..wish it was. I still miss Peter Jennings he told it like it was and so did Walter Cronkite..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hell yes I so agree, although our local news team are good at not showing how they feel about what they are reporting. I do get fed up with how they go over and over about some things when noting has changed they are just reporting the same stuff over and over and it gets that I would rather watch anything but the news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Carole,
    Oh yes, you are so right about that! One gets so sick of it and what puzzles me already for decades is that most of those anchor men and women, make a posh living by delivering us that kind of 'news'... The media does such a poor job of presenting us a complete picture. They way too much try to influence a certain part of the population! Like feeding them crack...
    Oscar Wilde knew it already: By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.
    Let's hope it will one day again return to real journalism, unbiased and true.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good rant, Carole. You are so right! So much bias and drama, everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got that right! This is exactly why I don't watch the news, local or national. It is too too depressing, and life has enough trouble without being bombarded with it constantly on the "news".

    I tune in once a week or so to bring myself up to date on what's important. But, I can't take a steady diet of it all day long.

    Great post, I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very nice rant if I may say so! Can't comment on the specifics of what you say, but generally it is the same here! The BBC I call the Biased Broadcasting Company! One of the things that really gets me is when some disaster has occurred to some poor person and a reporter will stick a mic in their face and ask them how they feel? Grrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muckraking, corporate ownership agendas, and yellow journalism have been with us since we learned how to scrawl. It really came to the fore in this country once mass communication via newspapers became the norm late 19th / early 20th century. There were some rules and journalistic styles that those on the up-and-up adhered to as late as 20 years ago. Now we have a polarized populace, the instant gore and gratification of the Web, with "legitimate" news outlets competing with anyone with a smartphone.

    I agree with you: it's a hot mess with everyone trying to get there first!

    ReplyDelete