Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Hazel

Hazel.  Meaner than a striped snake.  Not worth killin'. The worst of the worst.  Just bad!  Would't pull her outta a burning building if she were in one!!

Oh maybe 15 years ago, a girlfriend and I started out for our long LONG walk and jog...usually a good 7 miles... and the twilight we began in turned into dusk.  Dark.  But we kept on jogging up and down all the hills on the sidewalk.  I was in good shape then...now...not so much).

So, we were trotting along down the sidewalk in the dark except for street lights here and there (the pink sodium vapor ones).  and WHAM!  My right thigh connected with Hazel.  Who is she besides all the things I said in the first lines here in the blog?  Easy.   She is one of many named by Penny and I  fire hydrants in the city situated wherever the City decided to put them-- and among them is Hazel.  Ugly squatty Hazel who is still right smack in the middle of the sidewalk.  I might add all of our sidewalks are paved asphalt.

We neither of us saw her there lying in wait for un-suspecting and silly in-the-dark-joggers.  But she was there and man, she nailed me good!  I had an almost football sized black bruise on the front my thigh by morning.  I limped back home of course after colliding with her.  I went nowhere for three or four weeks and though the bruise still looked horrible there was some green forming around some of the black/purple edges of the bruise, so I started out again just walking, not running, and only for a few miles.

I never went to the doctor.  I did not apply the RICE therapy to my leg as it is spoken of as I  had no real knowledge of it.  But weeks and weeks later I got better.

Hazel is on my list to this moment let me tell you! Just looking at her you can tell with your bare eyes her vicious nature.

There are by the way far more female hydrants in town than males ones. Go figure! .  Harry was farther up the hill.

Just sayin'

14 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, that sounds painful....! Evil Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, that hurts!!! And, those are the worse kinds of encounters, the ones you are not expecting. I was aching along with you as I read your account of the incident. Glad you got okay after a while and didn't have any broken bones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that sounds like a really deep injury. I'm glad you healed. It is very interesting that you named the hydrants. Gotta say I'd never have thought to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH! That sounds so, so painful. Hazel's a toughie, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The city really should paint those a bright color and or put reflectors on them.
    I think you should sue.... some body :-D :-P
    10 years ago we were still living off of the fumes of young adulthood, still taking risks.
    Here in Virginia, they put fire hydrants in grassy areas, even in olden Leesburg.
    I have a lot of olden crash injuries, some received RICE others just carried the huge purple burden.
    I hope you have a happy snap filled day, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hazel the Hydrant is obviously a menace to society and should be detained at what we call over here "Her Majesty's Service"! She would also be given an ASBO and 100 hours community service!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SIS she is already YELLOW.. why not spray paint her brighter yellow.. no one will know.. I promise none of us will tell.. at least you might see her better! Hope you have no more run ins.. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had an Aunt Hazel. She was mean. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you were going to say that Hazel was a vicious dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sis!the twilight you began in turned into dusk the hills on the sidewalk,you was in good shape then..now..not so much.
    the pink sodium vapor ones.wham my right thigh connected with Hazel who is she besides all the things I said in the first lines.I fine hydrants in the city situated.
    We reither of us saw her there lying in wait for un suspecting and silly in the dark joggers, of course of after colliding with her.hope you have no more run ins..
    I has good golfing yesterday! Today has beautiful raining days.I hope you has nice day!
    Sis katie Miyuki and Victoria.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Hazel sounds like a mean 'un! I'm sorry she left you with an unpleasant and painful lesson. Never cross her again!

    Meanwhile the good news is that you're getting out there more and more, back to fighting trim. Now THAT is great news that even Hazel can't dampen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I think Hazel should have a late night accident with a car bumper (front AND back). That would serve her right, and maybe knock her off her keester!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Carole,
    Oh my, what an 'encounter' that left a lasting impact on you and physically one that didn't budge easy either...
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete