Friday, November 25, 2016

Almost December

Amazing how time rushes past us and though we know that, it is still always a surprise.  Around here the way times passage is frequently mentioned is similar to this:  It's Christmas day!  Turn around once and it's the Fourth of July.  Blink and it's Christmas again.  The passage of time seems so rapid.  One wants to say the rapidity is "unfair" sometimes--- as though that were a consideration!

But here it is, the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas hard upon us.  Another year will be dawning and we repeat the pattern.  Rejoicing all the way here at my home but nonetheless it is rather like a film that runs out and is re-wound endless seeming times.  I am happy to hit re-wind as often as I am granted.

We all of us had Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter-in-law's parents home.  The house was filled to bulging I would swear.  Ham and turkey both with the ham as tender as anything I have ever eaten.  The turkey was moist and golden.  Grilled green beans that were enwrapped with bacon that was also grilled.  Mashed potatoes, and a delicious potato and cheese casserole was made as well.  Sweet potato casserole, buttered steamed sweet corn.  Squash casserole,  and many other things that mom tends not to eat, so she didn't take especial note... as well as moist delicious stuffing.  There were four pumpkin pies, each homemade including crusts, a towering chocolate trifle, a delicious moist applesauce bundt cake with true butter cream frosting.  Even more was on the two long tables.

The home is large and the younger kids ate in the front room with tables in there and everyone else at long tables in the dining and family rooms.

Many members of the extended family were there with my side numbered only by my three sons and myself and of course my daughter-in-law now and baby grandson.  We in my nuclear family are few, as my parents passed early in age; but I am fortunate to have my dear daughter-in-law to love and be grateful for.

I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday, each of you.  Truly I do.

đŸ™‹




13 comments:

  1. Good heavens, what a feast! It sounds like it was a lovely Thanksgiving celebration, with enough turkey and ham leftovers for Katie, I hope (kidding). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a dieters nightmare ..... or paradise!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, "back in the day" we had just the traditional, perhaps 8 or 9 food items. -- which was okay.
    These past few years, as families grow and we gain new members by marriages, we have been having veritable feasts as well.
    My sister hosted the gathering this year and it was so good to go to her house and celebrate in Maryland, even though I dislike Maryland haha
    All of us ate just a little too much. We were instructed to bring clean containers to carry home our choice of left overs.
    I am glad that you have a wonderful daughter in law. Family is the best, especially in these times.
    I brought along a fun "work sheet" each person had to fill out. It was funny, thought provoking and encouraged us to share.
    My dad made the most profound statement, that as he sat there with us, none of us would be together - and most of us not even exist, if it were not for mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a feast, and a wonderful day with family.

    We had our Canadian Thanksgiving in October, so Thursday was a work day for me.

    I agree that time passes too quickly. My dad told us that it speeds up the older one gets. Sigh...I guess I must be getting old.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes time flies except when you are a child as a child time often seems to crawl by we feel it is sooooooooooooo long between one Christmas till the next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That all sounds so delicious - and it does sound like a large gathering. Lots to beThankful for.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a feast! Sounds like you had a great time with your family :-)
    Time passes at really scary speed. Can't believe it's almost December...and a new year in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a nice time and the food sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Thanksgiving celebration sounds wonderful (and delicious!), Carole. And yes, time definitely seems to go faster and faster as we get older, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holidays are nice, but I don't like the way the commercial world tries to stretch them out. For me, 4th of July is 1 day, Thanksgiving is 2 (Day and Leftovers Day), and Christmas is about a week (less and the decorations are hardly worth putting up; more and the music drives me batty).

    I think it is better to focus on a holiday briefly for its purpose rather than finish one and be immediately innundated by the next.

    I'm not a Grinch, I just want most days to be "regular", LOL! If every day is part of some holiday season, what IS a holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh what a feast!!! You made me hungry all over again!!! xxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sis!
    This is a Christmas day We all of you had Thanksgiving dinner at your daughter-in -low parent home.
    Ham and turnkey both with ham & green beans with bacon also grilled, Mashed potetoes and many other things Mum not eat only sweet carn, Only pumpkin pies and Chocolate trifle enjoys so much with you... I was very happy with younger kids eating well.
    Please take care of yourself.
    xxooxx
    Sis.katie.Miyuki and Victoria
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness it sounds amazing ! The tender moist Turkey . Lots of family and children is a sure recipe for love and laughter. Time Fly's it does indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete