Sunday, August 27, 2017

I Would Enjoy Knowing

Guys, I have never seen a total complete eclipse in my life until August 22 just passed.  Partials, to one degree or another but this is my first total eclipse.

What I would enjoy knowing is: How many of you have experienced the phenomena that followed in the seconds following the eclipse ending and sun starting to show; even if the sun peeking out was no wider than a hair's width when it started to show.

What am I speaking of?  Shadow bands.  I had stopped looking at the sun as the total eclipse was ended.  I happened to glance down at the ground and it was just wondrous to see.  There were others standing in their yards and I exclaimed "What in the world is THAT"? They all said that was what they were asking too! I did not know then that the phenomena I saw was called Shadow Bands.  Here is a link telling you briefly what they are.  I'm not referring to crescent shapes through leaves or pinholes.  I mean bands...

The undulating fairly even bands of dark gray and off white raced at high speed up the street covering everything..not just the street but all of us standing out and all over the ground.  I have never seen anything like it of course.  When I wrote on the Face Book television page of my favorite Weather Man ever, Matt Hinken, he answered within 20 minutes telling me that the shadow bands are a "following a total eclipse" happening.  I looked shadow bands u, and read several other sources as well.  I felt so enriched by seeing the eclipse and the shadow bands.  A once in a life time event for me unless I were wealthy and followed eclipses over the world by traveling to them.  No one really knows why the bands occur or what causes them other than saying an eclipse ending causes them.  In other words, they are pretty much a mystery.

Who else has ever noticed them ever after a total eclipse?

14 comments:

  1. That sounds very cool! We were well outside the bank of total eclipse and I've never experienced a complete one.

    Glad you had the chance to experience it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some photos but didn't know it was called shadow bands. How exciting you got to see that yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Carole,
    Well, a blogger friend from the State of Washington, had a beautiful view of those Shadow Bands and took pictures of it. https://beatriceeuphemievintagecottagestyle.blogspot.com/2017/08/solar-eclipse-and-other-strange.html
    Guess out west they had a big advantage in seeing this.
    This will explain the best what happened: https://www.space.com/37776-shadow-bands-are-a-solar-eclipse-mystery.html
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend but I am not referring to crescent shapes through pinholes or leaves. I mean bands...they raced along the landscape very quickly. You can read the link I provided from NASA.

      Delete
  4. WOW. That is super cool, Carole! Those shadow bands sound amazing. What a treat for you to have seen them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sis!
    the phenomena that followed in the seconds following in the seconds following the eclipse ending the sun starting to show.The Muslim woman who have spend decades arguing that it violated their right to equality. The have been left destitute by husband divorcing them through "triple talaq including by Skype and Whats Island App. I have the order that will liberate ate many Muslim women. Over the word by traveling to them,They are pretty good after a total eclipse...
    I have nice day! but still rain all the day.
    Sis,Katie,Victoria
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  6. Color me green with envy! I've never seen a 100% totality eclipse, nor the shadow bands. Am hoping to be in the path for the 2024 solar eclipse, which travels very close to home. I love astronomical stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got to see them, that is a once in a lifetime thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing the experience with us, I didn't get to see it here in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a partial eclipse here. And it was mostly cloudy. I saw nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had 100% totality but did not see the shadow bands. It might have been because of all the trees around my yard. I know others here were fully informed that they might occur and were lucky enough to see them. But not me. :-(
    Daffy was asleep, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sis!
    I've been very lucky! I decided to in with both feet and get really great representation,I've also tried to stay out of you can so easily put in the "half-hour comedy" box or the "one-hour drama" box. I'm trying to lots of different writing people talk about now being a golden are for American TV. Does it feel sustainable to you?
    I want to believe it's going to keep going.
    We had still rain for more another five days?
    Sis.Katie, Victoria
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me again. Just checking on you to see how you're doing. I hope all is well and everything is okay. I’m just saying hi and hello.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had never heard of them before. My friend T and her BF went to Missouri to experience totality. She ended up getting pictures of the bands. Very fascinating!

    ReplyDelete