Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Mockingbird and the Squirrel

Guys, this morning on my walk I saw something that reminded me of an event here at my house back in the late 80's.  I was whuppin' it trying to make it back to the car after the second time around the civic center park.  I heard the Mocking Bird and a squirrel's chatter.  I saw the Mocker was chasing the squirrel and dive bombing him incessantly  with no let up.  He beat the squirrel to the ends of the earth.  The squirrel was running the fastest he could.  The bird won!  Once upon a time when my boys were just in grammar school, I heard the loudest screeching ever!  I hurried to the deck and saw my one boy being attacked and pecked by Blue Jay parents.  Both of them.  He was trying desperately to get our Robin (our 6# Tortie...our last cat to be allowed outside)  to let go of a fledgling she had in her mouth.  The Blue Jay parents, and my sons were all after her.  She finally gave up and the parents were left along by Robin as my son marched her straight into the house.

I'll bet that squirrel will think twice before he disturbs a bird nest!

I took delivery of a new vacuum cleaner yesterday.  OH. My. Stars!  There isn't a better one out there.  I let my Consumer Reports Buying Guide choose for me.  I was looking for something to help with Katie Isabella's long long black furs.  They are/were embedded into the light carpet and made the carpet look dingy despite my vacuuming every other day.  Especially the living room and her room (computer room has the majority of her toys).

It was nothing to assemble and man, when I fired it up..I want you to know I have never EVER seen the carpet looking like this since it was installed!  It's several shades lighter! The dirt cup filled to the must empty it level after I got thru all the rooms.  And that was after I had vacuumed the day before!!!  This vacuum only cost $129.00 + our horrendous TN State sales tax. Worth every cent and more.  It's so quiet that Katie didn't run!

Sun 5 days in a row!  I feel faint!  I've gotten to NOT have to walk in the rain!

Here.  Found several beds of iris on my walkie.



The header today is the front of my home's azaleas.  Hope you like.


15 comments:

  1. Squirrels are pests, but gee, I felt a bit sorry for this one. LOL. And your poor son! Hope he didn't need therapy for the trauma of that event. :-D

    I don't know what vacuum you bought, but two Christmases ago I bought a Shark Professional something or other with swivel head, detachable canister, etc., etc. OMC! Even after over a year, I'm both impressed and appalled by the amount of cat hair and dirt it pulls out of my area rugs and carpets, after only a few days between vacuuming. I'm a pretty clean person, can't understand how there can be so much dirt all the time. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim It IS a Shark! Not the same style as yours. Upright with attachable tools. Best thing since sliced bread.

      Delete
  2. First off, the photo of the azaleas is wonderful. The color and the lighting...I'm so envious.

    Glad to hear you found a vacuum that works. I have a cheap one too, from Walmart - can't remember the brand but it has the cup as well, rather than a bag. It works well - like Kim I'm disgusted every time I empty it of the dirt and cat hair. I swear there is a kitten and half a sandbox in there!

    Yikes animals and birds can sure be cruel to one another. I've had a bird swoop down on me in the past but never been pecked. I guess I was a little too close to the nest.

    Have a great week!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have still an inexpensive at the time $39.00 one that if I didn't have a black cat would still be one of the best ones out there, It's a Dirt Devil upright. BUT-- it just can't cope with the fur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the new vacuum is working so nicely! And it's a reasonable price for a good vacuum. I guess Katie san has to work harder to fur up the carpet :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, I'll bet that squirrel will think twice before he messes with another bird's nest! Glad you got such a good deal on the vacuum. I love it when that happens. Katie's gonna have tons of fun furrring up the place now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful iris and azaleas. That sounds like a great vacuum and a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never seen a squirrel or a mocking bird in my life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Carole,
    Oh, those Mockingbirds can be very defensive indeed; and daring I would say.
    Our latest discovery has been the family of bats that hang out on the attic ventilation gable vent. Pieter did go up the attic and found that they hung out there. It is too dark, too high and behind the screen for taking any good photos but you can make out that there is a bunch of them. Their droppings are about a cup full every day so they must be rather active during the night for catching bugs and mosquitoes and we love that!
    Nature is fun to observe!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found a good working vacuum cleaner. We don't have any carpet left so that's not an issue here. But yes, there is a LOT of kitty fur around the house...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mother's Day (evening)! I hope your had a wonderful day. Just stopping by to say hi and to wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think people don't realize that squirrels will catch and eat birds sometimes. I was golfing once and my ball landed in the woods (not an uncommon occurance). But being a golf course, the trees were mature and 40' apart and they mowed in between.

    As I approached my ball, I saw a squirrel grab a bird, kill it, and carry it away. Until then, it had never occurred to me that a squirrel might eat a bird.

    I still get sideways looks from friends and neighbors when I mention that. They are convinced that squirrels are "cute" and just eat acorns...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey you two sweet ladies, it's me again. Just popping in to see how it's going with you and to say HI. I hope everything is going well and everything is okay.

    Wishing you a great Sunday (tomorrow)!

    ReplyDelete