Sunday, February 17, 2019

Another Good Grief One! ☺️

Good Grief.  There was an almost week of rain...it lacked two days without rain, and now it has started again right after I got a walk in yesterday morning.  The forecast says it will rain Saturday through Saturday next.  There is flooding in the immediate and wider spread areas.  I am up on the highest point so that particular thing is not affecting me personally.  And three of my 90' tall  trees are gone from my yard...so I don't have to worry about them uprooting and falling on my house any longer.  However, all of the trees in this part of town are equally tall, so looking at my header, if those should fall toward the house, the house will get hit but only by the tops of the trees.

The woods behind my home is called a privately owned greenbelt.  Those of us living along the street each own our woods down to the city and County line. When the town was built in the 40's, most of the trees that were on the mountain and hills were left standing.  They are very very tall.  It's an arborist's dream here in the town.

But this rain...whew.  Our weather system usually has and does come streaming up from the Gulf.  Hence it was always 47 or so inches of rain annually.  But now it is creeping toward 70 inches.  A record was set last year and I believe the year before.  If you choose to live in an extremely rainy area, then that's what you get.  But when you are used to moderate rainfall with plenty of alternate sunny days, it is hard to deal with constant nowadays gloom and rain.  One can hold an umbrella and walk but I find that takes a lot of the joy out of being out doors walking.  There's the gym, but outside of physical movement, not my fave place to be.   Most of all, I would love to see the sun more than a day, two at the most every 14 days.  The lights in my house are on all day except the rare days when there is sunlight.  It's gets wearing on the mood, guys.

Photofunia

11 comments:

  1. I know how much I hate snow, and always think rain would be better...I won't have to shovel it. But too much rain can also be troublesome. I think when spring (finally) comes our moods will much improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too...except the rain will still be plentiful. Maybe not as much.

      Delete
  2. We have had lots of rain too...way too much for almost 2 months. There has been flash flooding and flooding. We really need some drying out time. There are lots of trees in my neighborhood and some could fall on homes...hoping that does not happen. Stay safe and hopefully we will see spring soon and less rain. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Maebeme, living in Ontario as I do. But extremes in any weather aren't good, and days of gloom and rain ARE depressing. I'm wishing you sunnier days ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Carole,
    Here the very same gloom day! We biked on Thursday and that was the last.
    Personally I don't feel too bad as I have lots of writing to do and will go ahead with that. Deep cleaning our living room and veranda etc. does not make sense right now. Will attack that later with more energy from the sun!
    Want to also make some nice trips to visit friends when spring comes and all that before we have our choir Revue at the theatre on May 18. Only 3 months away... can't believe this year is speeding on that fast again!
    Will be so very happy when I'm through with Pieter's Memoir writing but it is SO IMPORTANT to me now. That's all I can give him for his final time here with us and he enjoys reading it. Don't care if some find it boring... it's for both of us and it's true history. Before things get lost, stories that never can be repeated... We lost already so many of the old day's friends.
    Sending you hugs and hope you can handle the gloom days. SO proud of myself for having tackled a series of hand sewing (hems, buttons and such) jobs last week and also on my machine. Hemming up my favorite Escada Moc Croc jeans as with my new on sale booties they were too long. The previous booties from years ago, found in Savannah at Macy's on sale (Made in China!) all of a sudden started giving off on the inside. The entire black lining of hand made something had changed its behavior. My feet were blackened and I've had a hard time to get my socks back to normal. So I gave them away. They were perfect on the outside, suede, fitted like a glove and were perfect with my jeans suit.
    Oh, we drove to Macy's in Atlanta fo trying on their boots that I'd followed for a while. I was lucky as they were on sale at the store and I saved some $ 60.00. On the website they never changed the price though!!!
    Now my local shoe repair man has retired and no other. But I've found me one on line in Atlanta, in-between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market so that is perfect for dropping things off. He had stellar ratings and reviews so I'm looking forward to have cat-paws added to my booties for safety and longevity.
    Life moves on and we have so many things to take care of.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I FEEL ya'Carole, and I hear you loud and clear. We've been getting lots of rain too lately...AND...freezing temps too. Last week we did have a couple of days without rain though. That was nice.

    Wishing you a great week coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same crazy wet weather in NC. However I think worse there for you. NC mountains do take some of the punch out of Mother Nature's wet mood by the time she arrives in Raleigh.
    Week ahead
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had sunny Saturday but rain on Sunday this weekend. And this week, a lot of rain is expected, too. I do like listening to rain but hope more sunny days are coming for kitties to enjoy :-) It's really great that you are on a high ground so flooding is no worry.
    Have a great new week xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all need rain but sometimes we get too much rain causing floods and that isn't good parts of Australia has been flooded recently while other parts are still in drought

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had 6 inches of snow last night, and bitter cold is expected overnight. Then, mid-week, it's rain-sleet-snow mix...oh joy! It's gray, gray, gray. I made The Hubby drive me to the hardware store, just to get out of the house for an hour! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rain, and walking in the rain, but almost a week of it would indeed be wearing. I would prefer it to being snowbound, however.

    ReplyDelete