Thursday, October 14, 2021

Heck, no!


See the last pair of true mercerized  cotton socks from 100 years ago I bought.  They don't stretch, they don't have that tourniquet top on it to stop your blood circulating to your heart.  They don't feel like you're putting a  thick fuzzy sweater on your foot.

They would feel weird to today's customer because the customers aren't used to un-giving cotton.  Just a crew sock, cotton, real shape and form, and your SIZE  is required.  You'll see that my big unruly toe poked a hole in the toe of the sock, and sadly I'll have to throw them away.  The very last pair of good decent cotton well made socks in my possession. That's actually sad (to me).  They fit closely to the foot, as they are sized.  You never notice the wearing of them.  Thought I would eulogize them here with their photo.  Buster Brown advertises socks that look like this..these ARE Buster Brown from years and years ago; but nowadays,  BB socks  are stretchy somewhat, there is an elastic's thread running along the shorter crew top to "hold them up"...no reinforcement in the toe and heel...they wear out before you can get across the floor and...they still leave a mark, however faint, on the ankle.  And nope, I don't have swollen ankles.  9" around by the tape. 

RIP Socks.  I enjoyed wearing you two. 




6 comments:

  1. Dearest Carole,
    Well, those quality socks definitely deserve some good old fashioned 'darning'!
    Too bad that you can't find them anymore. Though I've sent you 2 links in a message; there might be still hope.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I went into our only big box store here today to find some Hanes cotton socks which is just about the only kind that are 1/2 good. However the rack was empty. Like so much, nothing for sale. Don't like that I have to darn the Hanes over and over but you are right, nothing of quality is around now adays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you can't find that kind of socks anymore. You look great. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how the drawing was made, it looks awesome. And you can't possibly be 100 years old. :)

    I have never had such socks in my life, though mine do last a fair amount of time because I only wear them between October and March....and have been known to leave them off in those months too.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole you sound like me...I can't draw a straight line with a ruler much less a human. It is lovely thou.
    Oh I here your sock Woes. Why oh Why do they quit making something we love? Hubby and I think we ae the kiss of death in that department. As soon as we say out loud how much we like something it falls into a black hole never to return.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fine picture; whoever the artist is, is talented. And socks that don't stretch... Is there anything that doesn't have plastic in it? I think plastic must be the worst invention ever for the planet.

    ReplyDelete